This white chocolate mud cake is one delicious cake, and it couldn’t be any easier to make. This is one of those super simple one bowl recipes that is sure to impress.
This mud cake tastes great topped with so many different icings, but to make it the ultimate white chocolate cake, top it with a creamy white chocolate ganache, which is what we have done in this recipe. Or for something different, try decorating it with Caramilk ganache.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Butter – I used salted but unsalted works just as well. If using unsalted butter, consider adding a pinch of salt to the cake batter.
- White chocolate – Use a quality white chocolate.
- Caster sugar – The caster sugar is finer than ordinary white sugar, which will help it dissolve into the cake batter.
- Milk – I used full cream milk, but lower fat varieties of milk can also be used.
- Eggs – Large sized eggs were used in this recipe.
- Vanilla extract – The vanilla extract can be substituted for vanilla essence.
- Plain flour – Otherwise know as all purpose flour.
- Self raising flour – Otherwise known as self-rising flour.
For the chocolate ganache
- White chocolate – As with the cake, choose a good quality white chocolate.
- Cream – It’s very important to use thickened (or heavy) cream in the ganache, otherwise it will not thicken enough.
Store this cake in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. You may like to bring the cake to room temperature before enjoying.
This cake is also suitable for freezing, even once coated in ganache. Wrap the cake tightly in cling wrap, before placing in an airtight container and freezing for up to 3 months. Defrost at room temperature before enjoying.
- 225g butter
- 300g white chocolate
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 225g white chocolate, for the ganache
- 1/3 cup thickened cream
- Preheat the oven to 160c fan forced. Grease or line 2 x round cake tins.
- Place the butter and white chocolate in a large mixcrowave safe mixing bowl, and microwave in short bursts until melted, stirring in between.
- Stir through the caster sugar. Add the milk, eggs and vanilla extra and stir until well combined.
- Add the plain flour and self raising flour and stir until smooth and well combined.
- Divide the batter between the 2 cake tins. Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through. Allow to cool completely.
- To make the ganache, add the white chocolate and cream to a microwave safe bowl and microwave in short bursts until melted, stirring in between. Place the ganache in the fridge until thickened to a spreadable consistency.
- Sandwich together the cakes with a little ganache, then top with the remaining ganache.
- Store this cake in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- This cake can be frozen if wrapped tightly in cling wrap, and frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 558Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 90mgSodium: 308mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 1gSugar: 40gProtein: 7g