This creamy Tuscan tortellini soup has so much flavour, and is more than filling enough to be a main meal, although it’s delicious with some crusty buttered bread for dipping too!
More soup recipes
Ingredients and substitutions
- Olive oil – Use a good quality extra virgin olive oil, or your preferred frying oil.
- Onion – A brown onion was used in this recipe, but a red onion could also be used.
- Garlic – Fresh garlic was used in this soup, but this can be substituted with 4 heaped teaspoons of jar minced garlic.
- Plain flour (all purpose flour) – This will help thicken the soup.
- Chicken stock – The chicken stock can be substituted for vegetable stock, either homemade or store-bought.
- Tortellini – Use any flavour of tortellini.
- Diced tomatoes – Do not drain the diced tomatoes before using, you want the tomatoes and their juice.
- White beans – The white beans can be omitted if preferred, however they pair perfectly with the flavors of the soup, with the added bonus of making the soup more filling.
- Cooked chicken – Use shredded cooked chicken, such as from a rotisserie chicken or chicken you have cooked yourself.
- Italian seasoning – Use a store-bought Italian seasoning blend, or a homemade version.
- Baby spinach leaves – Use fresh baby spinach leaves.
- Thickened cream (heavy cream) – It’s best to use thickened cream in this recipe as opposed to lower fat varieties.
- Grated parmesan – Use pre-grated parmesan, or grate some yourself from a block of parmesan.
- Salt and pepper – Use salt and pepper to season the soup to your taste.
- Fresh parsley – The parsley garnish adds a nice freshness to the soup, however this is completely optional.
Store this soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Reheat until piping hot using the stovetop or microwave.
This soup is suitable for freezing. Freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight, before reheating according to the above directions.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped or minced
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 600g tortellini
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 400g can white beans, drained
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 3 cups lightly packed baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup thickened cream
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped, for garnishing (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook, stirring, until the onion has softened. Add the flour and stir until well combined.
- Pour the chicken stock into the saucepan, along with the tortellini, diced tomatoes, white beans, shredded chicken and Italian seasoning. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until the soup has thickened and the tortellini is just cooked through.
- Add the baby spinach leaves, thickened cream and grated parmesan to the soup. Simmer until the cream has heated through and the spinach has wilted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the soup into serving bowls and sprinkle over the fresh parsley, if using.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1147Total Fat: 50gSaturated Fat: 24gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 206mgSodium: 1756mgCarbohydrates: 118gFiber: 14gSugar: 12gProtein: 59g