Orange cake doesn’t get any easier than this Thermomix whole orange cake. The cake batter takes less than 30 seconds mixing time, and that includes chopping up the orange!
This is one of those cakes that is perfect to make when guests are expected but you don’t have much time to spend in the kitchen. The Thermomix and oven do all of the work, leaving you free to get on with other things.
More Thermomix recipes
The Thermomix really is the ultimate time saving appliance. Take a look at the following recipes for more Thermomix inspiration:
- Thermomix lemon cake
- Thermomix whipped cream
- Thermomix scones
- Thermomix banana bread
- Thermomix jelly slice
- Thermomix brownies
Ingredients and substitutions
To make this incredibly quick and easy whole orange cake you will need the following ingredients:
- Oranges – You will need 1 orange for this recipe, or 2 if you are making an orange glaze to drizzle over the cake.
- Butter – I used salted butter for this cake, but unsalted can also be used. You might like to add a pinch of salt to the cake batter if using unsalted butter.
- Eggs – Large sized eggs were used in this cake batter.
- Caster sugar
- Self raising flour
- Vanilla extract – I used vanilla extract in this cake as it gives a deeper vanilla flavour. Vanilla essence can also be used, but the vanilla flavour will not be as pronounced.
- Icing sugar – This is needed if making the optional orange glaze to drizzle over the baked cake.
You will require the following equipment for this recipe:
- Thermomix, or similar thermo cooking appliance. The cake batter can also be made in a food processor.
- 20cm round cake tin
Store this whole orange cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
This cake is suitable for freezing. Freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature before enjoying.
- 1 whole orange, quartered
- 225g butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 150g caster sugar
- 300g self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup icing sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 160c fan forced. Line or grease a 20cm round cake tin.
- Add the quartered orange and softened butter to the Thermomix bowl and mix for 7 seconds/speed 8.
- Add the eggs, caster sugar, self raising flour and vanilla extract to the bowl and mix for 20 seconds/speed 4.
- Spoon the cake batter into the prepared tin and bake for 50 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Allow to cool in tin completely.
- To make the orange glaze, combine the icing sugar and enough orange juice to make a glaze of drizzling consistency. Spoon over the cake and serve.
The cake is cooked through when an inserted skewer or toothpick comes out clean.
Use the whole orange, skin and all.
Store the cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
This cake is suitable to freeze. Freeze sliced cake in an airtight container for up to 2 months.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 389Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 104mgSodium: 524mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 1gSugar: 25gProtein: 5g