Banana bread is one of those staple baked treats that we all love, but this Thermomix banana bread makes it even easier with a Thermomix. In no time at all you will have a freshly baked loaf of banana bread ready for an afternoon snack or lunch box treat. Banana bread is the perfect way to use up those over-ripe bananas.
Make this banana bread as is, or create your own version by adding some chocolate chips, sultanas or chopped nuts.
More ways to use your Thermomix
The Thermomix (or any other thermo cooking machine) can be a great second set of hands in the kitchen. Some more great recipes to try in your Thermomix include Thermomix rice, Thermomix whole orange cake, Thermomix lemon cake, Thermomix brownies and Thermomix whipped cream.
Tips for making the perfect banana bread
- Do not overmix that batter. The banana bread will have a much lighter texture if the batter is mixed until just combined.
- Use ripe bananas for this recipe, the riper the better.
- Frozen bananas can be used in this recipe, simply adjust the mixing time for the wet ingredients as needed.
- If adding sultanas, chocolate chips or chopped nuts to the banana bread, fold them through just before pouring the batter into the loaf tin.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Self raising flour – If you don’t have any self raising flour on hand, use 1 3/4 cups of plain flour and 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder.
- Bi carb soda – Otherwise known as baking soda, and not to be confused with baking powder.
- Brown sugar – The brown sugar can be substituted with 1/2 cup white sugar, or a combination of 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup white sugar.
- Eggs – 2 large sized eggs, approximately 58g each, were used in this recipe.
- Milk – Full fat milk was used in this banana bread, but lower fat varieties of milk can also be used.
- Butter – Salted butter was used in this recipe. Unsalted butter can also be used, but you may like to add a pinch of salt to the batter.
- Bananas – Use 2 large, ripe bananas. The riper the bananas, the sweeter and more intense the flavour will be.
- 1 3/4 cups self raising flour
- 1/4 teaspoon bi carb soda
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 75g butter, melted
- 2 large ripe bananas, mashed
- Preheat the oven to 170c fan forced. Line a loaf tin with baking paper and set aside.
- Add the butter to the Thermomix bowl and melt at 100c speed 1 for 2 minutes.
- Add the bananas, eggs and milk. Mix on speed 6 for 10 seconds.
- Add the self raising flour, bi carb soda and brown sugar. Mix on speed 5 for 10 seconds. Scrape the sides and mix again on speed 5 for 5 seconds.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin and bake for 55 minutes to an hour, until golden and cooked through.
- Store the banana bread in an airtight container at room temperature.
- This banana bread is suitable to freeze.
- Be sure not to overmix the batter, as this may result in a banana bread that is more dense and drier.
- This banana bread can be baked as 12 muffins. If making muffins, reduce the cooking time to 20 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 173Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 274mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 3g