These quick and easy Swedish meatballs cooked in delicious creamy gravy are sure to be a hit with the family. Serve as they are, or add a little lingonberry jam on the side, just like at Ikea.
Swedish meatballs are by far one of my favourite dinners. They are so quick and easy to make, but there is just something about that delicious gravy that makes these meatballs amazing.
Using the same saute pan to both fry the meatballs and make the gravy is what makes this gravy so delicious. The little browned bits of meat on the bottom of the saute pan become part of the gravy, which gives the gravy the most incredible rich flavour.
Sour cream is also added to the gravy, which gives it that creamy flavour. While the meatballs themselves are great, the gravy is really what makes this dish so good.
When it comes to the mince used to make these meatballs, I used beef mince, but you pork mince would also work well, or a half beef/half pork combination.
This recipe can also easily be doubled to serve a large family, or to freeze half for another day.
When it comes to serving the Swedish meatballs, I absolutely love them served with mashed potato and a side of steamed vegetables, but these meatballs are also great with paste or rice.
Swedish Meatballs Recipe
- 500g beef mince
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil, for frying
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 cups beef stock
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- Extra chopped parsley, for serving
- To a large mixing bowl, add the beef mince, diced onion, egg, breadcrumbs, chopped parsley, allspice, nutmeg and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix until either using a large spoon or your hands until all ingredients are well combined.
- Take tablespoons full of the meatball mixture and roll into balls.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to a saute pan and heat over a medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and cook, turning every few minutes, until the meatballs are golden and cooked through. Transfer to a plate.
- Keeping the saute pan on the heat, add the butter and stir until melted. Add the plain flour and stir until well combined with the melted butter.
- Gradually add the beef stock, a little at a time, while continuously stirring. Add the sour cream, Worcestershire sauce and dijon mustard, and stir until well combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the meatballs back to the gravy and lower the heat to a simmer until the gravy has thickened.
- Serve over mashed potato, pasta or rice. Sprinkle with a little extra chopped parsley.