You won’t be able to get enough of these sultana cupcakes. Topped with a basic lemon icing, they make the perfect little treat that kids and adults alike will love.
These cupcakes start with a vanilla cupcake batter which is laced with sultanas. They are soft and fluffy on the inside, and the lemon icing they are topped with just works perfectly with the cupcakes.
More cupcake recipes
Need more cupcake inspiration? Look no further than the recipes below:
- Butterfly cupcakes
- Vanilla cupcakes
- Ice cream cone cupcakes
- Chocolate sticky date cupcakes
- Patty cakes
Ingredients and substitutions
Ready to whip up a batch of these sultana cupcakes? You will need the following ingredients:
- Butter – Salted butter was used in these cupcakes, but unsalted butter can also be used. If using unsalted butter, consider adding a pinch of salt to the batter.
- White sugar
- Eggs – Large sized eggs were used in this recipe.
- Vanilla extract – The vanilla extract can be substituted with vanilla essence.
- Self raising flour
- Milk – Full cream milk was used in this recipe, but lower fat versions of milk can also be used.
For the lemon icing, you will need:
- Icing sugar – Use soft icing mixture rather than pure icing sugar.
- Lemon juice – Fresh lemon juice tastes best, but bottled lemon juice can also be used.
How to make sultana cupcakes
Before making a start on the cupcake batter, preheat the oven to 180c. Line 2 x 6 hole muffin tins with cupcake liners and set aside.
Add the butter and sugar to either the bowl of a stand mixer or a large mixing bowl with electric beaters. Beat the butter and sugar together until light and creamy.
Next, add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat once again until well combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
Add the milk and self raising flour to the mixture, and beat until well combined. Finally, stir through the sultanas.
Divide the batter between the muffin tins. Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through. Allow to cool completely.
Once the muffins have cooled, make the icing by mixing the icing sugar and lemon juice together in a small mixing bowl. Add the milk, a little at a time, until the icing is a spreadable consistency. Spread over the cooled cupcakes.
Store the cupcakes in an airtight container at room temperature.
Store these cupcakes in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
These cupcakes are suitable for freezing. Freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Defrost at room temperature before enjoying.
- 125g butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups self raising flour
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cups sultanas
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Line 2 x 6 hole muffin tins with cupcake liners and set aside. Preheat the oven to 160c.
- Add the softened butter and sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat until light and creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Add the milk and self raising flour flour, and beat until combined. Stir through the sultanas.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tins. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Allow to cool completely.
- To make the lemon icing, add the icing sugar, lemon juice and milk to a small mixing bowl, and stir until well combined. Spread over the cooled cupcakes.
- Store the cupcakes in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Store at room temperature for up to 5 days.
- These cupcakes are suitable for freezing.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 273Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 54mgSodium: 241mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 1gSugar: 31gProtein: 3g