Strawberry Heart Thumbprint Cookies
These strawberry heart thumbprint cookies are by far the most requested cookies by my kids. There is just something about them that they just can’t get enough of. It probably has something to do with the sticky, sweet jam in the middle of each cookie.
Thankfully, these heart thumbprint cookies are just about as easy as cookies get. They use a basic cookie recipe which makes amazing cookies even if you don’t fill them with jam. You can easily top the cookies with icing or stir through some chocolate chips for something different. The cookie dough uses only 5 basic ingredients that you likely already have in your kitchen; butter, white sugar, plain flour, an egg and vanilla extract.
As the title gives away, the cute love heart shapes on each cookie are made using thumbprints. They are made in the same way as typical thumbprint cookies, only with these cookies instead of pressing down on each cookie once, you use your thumbprint twice to make the shape of a love heart. Each heart is then filled with a small amount of strawberry jam, which melts when baked to perfectly fill each heart.
To make these heart thumbprint cookies, first preheat your oven to 180c, and line a baking tray with baking paper. Add the softened butter, white sugar and vanilla extract to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat with the beater attachment until light and creamy.
Add the egg and mix once again until the egg is well combined with the butter mixture. Add the plain flour and mix slowly until the mixture turns to a dough.
Take spoonfuls of mixture and roll them into a ball, placing each onto the prepared baking tray. Use your thumb to create a heart shape on each cookie. Place a small amount of strawberry jam into each heart indent. Bake the cookies for around 15 minutes or until just starting to turn golden.
Allow the cookies to cool before serving, as the jam in the centre will be hot! These cookies keep well in an airtight container stored at room temperature, and are also great for freezing.
- 180g butter, softened
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 180c. Line a baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
- Add the softened butter, sugar and vanilla extract to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until light and creamy.
- Add the egg and beat again until well combined.
- Slowly mix the flour through the butter mixture until well combined and a dough has formed.
- Roll spoonfuls of dough into a ball and place them on the baking tray. Use your thumb or the handle end of a wooden spoon to make a love heart shaped imprint in each cookie.
- Fill each heart imprint with a small amount of jam. Bake for around 15 minutes or until slightly golden.
- Allow to cool before serving.