Perfect as a snack, lunch or dinner, these spinach and ricotta rolls are amazing. They feature a flavour filled spinach and ricotta filling, surrounded by crispy puff pastry and topped with sesame seeds. It’s impossible to stop at just one.
These rolls are a bit like sausage rolls, but minus the meat filling. They are perfect for school lunch boxes, and even make a great dinner. Just serve warm with salads or vegetables on the side and you have the perfect meat free meal.
More meat free recipes
Want more meat free meal inspiration? Look no further than the recipes below:
- Easy spinach and tomato tortellini
- Spinach and feta pull apart bread
- Roasted sweet potato quinoa salad
- Ricotta, pumpkin and walnut pan fried gnocchi
- Healthy creamy cauliflower sauce
Ingredients in spinach and ricotta rolls
To make these delicious spinach and ricotta rolls you will need the following ingredients:
- Frozen spinach
- Ricotta cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Puff pastry
- Sesame seeds
How to make spinach and ricotta rolls
Before making a start on the spinach and ricotta mixture, preheat the oven to 180c. Line two baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
Place the frozen spinach in a large microwave safe bowl and microwave until defrosted. This takes around 4 minutes in my microwave but will differ for different microwaves. Squeeze out as much of the liquid as possible from the spinach.
To the defrosted spinach add the ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, egg, minced garlic, nutmeg and salt and pepper. Stir until well combined.
Remove the puff pastry sheets from the freezer and defrost at room temperature. Once the pastry is defrosted enough to work with, slice each piece of pastry in half.
Divide the spinach mixture into 8 equal portions, and place the spinach in a line along an edge of the 8 pieces of pastry. Roll into a log, and slice each log into 4 equal pieces.
Place each of the rolls on the prepared baking tray, ensuring the join is facing down. Brush each roll with the beaten egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until the pastry is puffed and golden.
Serve the spinach and ricotta rolls warm as they are or with your favourite sauce. Store any leftover rolls in an airtight container in the fridge.
Spinach and ricotta rolls recipe
- 250g frozen spinach
- 375g ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- 4 sheets puff pastry
- 1 egg, extra, beaten
- Sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 180c. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Place the frozen spinach in a large microwave safe bowl and defrost in the microwave. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Add to the spinach the ricotta, parmesan, egg, minced garlic, nutmeg and salt and pepper. Mix until well combined
- Remove the puff pastry from the freezer and defrost at room temperature. Cut each of the sheets of puff pastry in half.
- Divide the spinach mixture into 8 equal portions, and place a portion in a line on the edge of each piece of pastry. Roll into a log and slice into 4 equal sized rolls.
- Place each of the rolls on the prepared baking trays and brush on the beaten egg with a pastry brush. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until the pastry is puffed and golden.
- Enjoy while warm as they are or with your favourite dipping sauce. Store any uneaten rolls in an airtight container in the fridge.