Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef
This Mongolian beef is perfect for those at home takeaway nights. It tastes just as good, if not better, than takeaway. Even better, it’s made in the slow cooker which makes for an easy dinner.
This slow cooked beef tastes amazing served with rice and a side of steamed broccoli. It can easily be made with just the meat, but I added capsicum and carrots to increase the vegetable content. Feel free to leave them out or substitute with different vegetables if you prefer.
The sauce in this Mongolian beef contains a decent amount of soy sauce, so it’s important to use salt reduced soy sauce. If you only have regular soy sauce on hand, try halving the amount you use from 1/2 cup to 1/4 cup, otherwise you may find the end result way too salty.
More slow cooker dinner ideas
Slow cookers are perfect for quick, fuss free family dinners. Check out the following recipes for more slow cooker recipe inspiration:
Ingredients in Mongolian beef
Ready to make this delicious Mongolian beef? You will need the following ingredients, as well as a slow cooker:
- Beef steak, cut into strips
- Sesame oil
- Brown sugar
- Low salt soy sauce
- Red capsicum
- Spring onions
- Sesame seeds
How to make Mongolian beef
If you haven’t already, start by cutting the beef into thin strips. While it’s not essential, it makes it easier to cut the beef into perfect strips if the beef is still partially frozen. Sometime I actually cheat when I make this dish and use pre-cut stir fry beef strips.
Add the beef strips to a bowl along with the cornflour. Stir until the beef is evenly coated in the cornflour. Set aside.
Prepare your slow cooker then add the sesame oil, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, soy sauce and water to the slow cooker bowl. Stir until well combined. Add the coated beef, carrot and capsicum to the slow cooker and stir to combine with the sauce ingredients.
Cook for 3 hours on high, or 5 hours on low. Just before serving, stir through the spring onions and sesame seeds. Serve the beef with rice and steamed vegetables.
Slow cooker Mongolian beef recipe
- 700g steak cut into strips
- 1/4 cup cornflour
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, minced
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup low salt soy sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 carrots cut into matchsticks
- Red capsicum, cut into matchsticks
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- sesame seeds, for garnishing
- Add the beef strips to a bowl along with the cornflour. Stir until the beef is evenly coated in the cornflour and set aside.
- Prepare your slow cooker, then add the sesame oil, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, soy sauce and water. Stir until all ingredients are well combined.
- Add the coated beef strips to the slow cooker along with the carrots and capsicum, and stir through the sauce ingredients.
- Cover with the lid and cook on high for 3 hours, or low for 5 hours.
- Just before serving, stir through the spring onions and sesame seeds.
- This Mongolian beef is delicious served with rice and steamed vegetables.