This slow cooker chicken and wild rice soup is the perfect cold weather dinner. It’s such an easy dinner, just throw everything in the slow cooker in the morning and come home to this delicious soup bubbling away.
Not only does this soup make for an easy dinner, it also tastes amazing and is sure to fill tummies thanks to the wild rice. It’s one of those soups that really is a complete meal.
More soup recipes
Want more soup inspiration? Then look no further than the delicious soup recipes below:
Ingredients to make chicken wild rice soup
Ready to try this warming slow cooker soup? Before you begin, check that you have the following ingredients on hand:
- Chicken stock
- Chicken breast
- Brown onion
- Wild rice
- Long grain rice
- Olive oil
- Dried parsley
- Curry powder
- Coconut milk
How to make slow cooker chicken wild rice soup
The first step of this soup is as simple as it gets. Add to the slow cooker the sliced mushrooms, peeled and diced onion, peeled and diced carrots, diced celery, olive oil, dried parsley, garlic, curry powder, wild rice, long grain rice, whole chicken breast and chicken stock. Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours.
Combine the water and cornflour in a small bowl. Add the cornflour mixture to the soup along with the coconut milk. Cook for a further 30 minutes on high, or until the soup has thickened.
Remove the chicken breast from the soup and shred with two forks. Return the shredded chicken to the soup and stir until combined. Serve the soup and top with fresh parsley if desired.
Slow cooker chicken wild rice soup recipe
- 500g chicken breast
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 225g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 brown onion, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 3/4 cup water
- 6 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place all ingredients in the slow cooker aside from the water, cornflour, coconut milk and salt and pepper. Stir to combine, then cover with lid and cook on low for 6 hours.
- After 6 hours, combine the water and cornflour in a small bowl. Add the cornflour mixture to the soup along with the coconut milk and stir to combine. Cook on high for a further 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken breast from the soup and shred using two forks. Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker and stir through the soup.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve. Sprinkle with a little fresh parsley if desired.