Slow Cooker Carrot Soup
There is nothing more comforting than the smell of soup simmering away in the slow cooker. This slow cooker carrot soup is the perfect rainy day meal. Just throw the ingredients in the slow cooker in the morning, and come back to a delicious soup in the evening.
My slow cooker is without a doubt one of my favourite kitchen appliances. I especially love it on the days we have after school activities. Rather than trying to madly throw dinner together when we finally get home, we can walk in the door and have dinner already cooked and waiting for us.
This carrot soup makes the perfect dinner when served with some crusty bread on the side. It also makes such a good size batch that there might even be leftovers for lunch tomorrow. You could even send some to school with the kids in a Thermos. Check out some of my hot school lunch ideas for winter here.
Ingredients for slow cooker carrot soup
Before you make this carrot soup, be sure you have the following ingredients on hand:
- Brown onions
- Olive oil
- Garlic cloves
- Dried Thyme
- Dried Oregano
- Chicken stock
- Cream or coconut milk
- Salt and pepper
How to make slow cooker carrot soup
Ready to start making this delicious soup? Before you begin, get your slow cooker ready. Next, prep your vegetables by peeling and roughly chopping the carrot and potatoes. Peel and dice the onions. Crush or finely chop the garlic.
Place the carrots, potatoes, onions and garlic in the slow cooker, along with the dried thyme, dried oregano, chicken stock and olive oil. Cover with the lid and cook on low for 8 hours, or high for 4 hours.
Puree the soup while it’s still in the slow cooker using a hand held stick blender, until the soup is smooth. Add the cream or coconut milk, honey and nutmeg to the soup and stir through until combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Other warming soup recipes
Can’t get enough of this delicious slow cooker carrot soup? Then you are sure to love these other vegetable soups:
Slow cooker carrot soup recipe
- 1.3kg carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 brown onions, peeled and diced
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 50ml cream or coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- Add the carrots, potatoes, onions, olive oil , garlic, dried herbs and stock to a slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Puree the soup while still in the slow cooker using a hand held stick blender, until the soup is smooth. Add the cream or coconut milk, honey and nutmeg to the soup and stir until combined.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.