This slow cooker apricot chicken is one of those great slow cooker dinners that only takes a few minutes prep time, but rewards you with a delicious meal at the end of the day.
My version of apricot chicken start with searing the chicken, softening some onion then adding those classic apricot ingredients along with Dijon Mustard and fresh thyme leaves.
The end result is a flavour packed dinner that the entire family is sure to enjoy. Serve it with rice, mashed potatoes or pasta and a side of steamed vegetables.
Slow cooker recipes
Searching for more ways to get the most out of your slow cooker? Take a look at the slow cooker recipes below:
- Slow cooker butter chicken
- Slow cooker bolognese
- Slow cooker beef and broccoli
- Slow cooker Mongolian beef
- Slow cooker chicken wild rice soup
Ingredients and substitutions
To make this slow cooker dinner you will need:
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs – This could be substituted with skinless chicken breast, although chicken thigh will give a better flavour.
- Olive oil – Use a good quality extra virgin olive oil, or your preferred frying oil.
- Onion – Use a brown onion.
- Can apricot nectar
- Can apricot halves
- Sachet French onion soup mix
- Fresh thyme leaves – The fresh thyme leaves can be substituted with dried thyme leaves.
Store this apricot chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Reheat until piping hot using the stovetop or microwave.
This chicken is also suitable for freezing. Freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge overnight before reheating until piping hot.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 500g boneless chicken thighs, cut into large chunks
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 40g sachet French onion soup mix
- 405ml can apricot nectar
- 410g can apricot halves in juice, drained
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme leaves, leaves removed and stalks discarded
- Heat the oil in a frying pan or the slow cooker if it has a sear function. Sear the chicken until browned. Set aside
- Cook the onions until softened. Return the chicken to the slow cooker along with the soup mix, apricot nectar, drained apricot halves, dijon mustard and thyme leaves.
- Cook for 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low.
- Serve this apricot chicken with rice, mashed potatoes or pasta, and a serve of steamed vegetables.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 402Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 154mgSodium: 320mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 3gSugar: 32gProtein: 33g