This salmon pasta is everything a weeknight meal should be. It’s quick, easy and a hit with the whole family.
The salmon is first seared, then mixed through an incredibly easy creamy garlic sauce. Stir through the fettuccine, garnish with parmesan and fresh parsley and enjoy.
What you need
To make this easy salmon pasta you will need the following ingredients:
- Fettuccine – Use dried fettuccine, or substitute with your favourite style of pasta.
- Olive oil – Use a good quality olive oil, or your preferred frying oil.
- Salmon – Fresh salmon always tastes best, but frozen, defrosted salmon can be used.
- Butter – Salted butter was used in this sauce, but unsalted butter can be used instead.
- Onion – A brown onion was used in this sauce, but this can be substituted with a red onion.
- Garlic – Use fresh or jar garlic.
- Plain flour
- Chicken stock – The chicken stock can be substituted with white wine.
- Thickened cream – Use a full fat thickened cream for best results.
- Parmesan cheese – Use pre-grated parmesan cheese, or grate it yourself from a block of parmesan cheese.
- Lemon – Fresh lemon juice is best, but can be substituted with bottled lemon juice if fresh isn’t available.
- Fresh parsley
More pasta recipes
- Spinach and ricotta cannelloni
- Baked feta and tomato pasta
- Creamy pasta salad
- Slow cooker bolognese
- Baked spaghetti
- Chicken and vegetable lasagne
Step by step instructions
Step 1. Sear the salmon
While the pasta is cooking, sear the salmon in a frying pan with a little olive oil. Remove from the frying pan, gently break into pieces, and set aside.
Step 2. Make the sauce
Return the frying pan to a medium-high heat and cook the onion with the remaining olive oil and butter until softened. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Stir through the flour until well combined, then add the chicken stock and cream and cook, stirring, until smooth and thickened. Stir through the parmesan cheese, lemon juice, parsley and the salmon. Once the cheese has melted, combine with the cooked fettuccine.
Step 3. Serve
Divide the pasta between the bowl and top with the remaining parmesan cheese and parsley. Serve with lemon wedges.
Store any leftover pasta in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Reheat in a frying pan or saucepan on the stovetop, or using the microwave.
This pasta is not suitable for freezing.
- 500g fettuccine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 500g skin off salmon fillets
- 20g butter
- 1 onion, peeled and finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or finely diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup thickened cream
- Squeeze lemon juice
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Extra parmesan cheese, for serving
- Extra chopped parsley, for serving
- Cook the pasta according to packet directions. Drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat half of the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat. Sear the salmon until almost cooked through. Transfer to a plate, gently break into pieces and set aside.
- Return the frying pan to a medium high heat and add the onion along with the remaining olive oil and butter. Cook, stirring, until softened. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Stir the flour through the onion mixture until well combined. Pour in the chicken stock and cream, and cook, stirring, until smooth and thickened. Stir through the parmesan cheese, parsley, a good squeeze of lemon juice and the salmon. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Combine the creamy sauce with the cooked pasta. Divide between serving bowls and top with the extra parmesan cheese and parsley.
- If using skin on salmon fillets, simply remove the skin during the cooking process.
- A dry white wine can be used in place of the chicken stock.
- Serve the pasta on it's own, or with a leafy side salad and fresh crusty bread.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 797Total Fat: 51gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 172mgSodium: 409mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 40g