This roast pumpkin salad is so full of delicious flavours, it’s guaranteed to become a family favourite. It starts with a roasted and caramelised pumpkin, baby spinach, crumbled feta and pine nut salad, which is then drizzled with a sweet honey balsamic vinegar dressing.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Pumpkin – I used butternut pumpkin in the salad as I find it has the best flavour once roasted, but feel free to use your favourite pumpkin variety.
- Baby spinach leaves – The baby spinach leaves can be replaced with mixed lettuce leaves or even rocket leaves.
- Feta – I used Greek feta in this salad because I like the way it crumbles, but any feta or other soft cheeses will work great in this recipe.
- Pine nuts – The pine nuts can be substituted with any other suitable nuts or seeds. I also like to use roughly chopped walnuts or pumpkin seeds (pepitas).
- Olive oil – The olive oil makes up the base of the balsamic dressing, so use a good quality extra virgin olive oil, or any other oil suitable for salad dressings.
- Balsamic vinegar – White wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar could be used in place of the balsamic vinegar, however the dressing will lose it’s balsamic taste.
- Salt and pepper – To season the salad dressing.
More salad recipes
Step by step instructions
Place the peeled and diced pumpkin on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, then bake for 20-25 minutes.
Assemble the salad by adding the roasted pumpkin, baby spinach, crumbled feta and pine nuts to a large salad bowl or large serving plate.
Make the honey balsamic dressing by combining the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey and salt and pepper in a small bowl.
Drizzle the balsamic dressing over the salad ingredients, and toss to combine.
This salad is best eaten immediately after preparing, but can be store in the fridge for up to 2 days if the dressing is stored in a seperate container.
This salad is not suitable for freezing.
- 600g peeled and diced pumpkin pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 120g baby spinach leaves
- 100g feta, crumbled
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
Honey Balsamic Dressing
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200c. Place the cubed pumpkin on a baking tray lined with baking paper, and toss to coat. Roast for 20-25 minutes, or until golden and cooked through. Allow to cool slightly.
- To assemble the salad, add the roasted pumpkin, baby spinach, feta and pine nuts to a large salad bowl.
- To make the dressing, combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey and salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Drizzle the balsamic dressing over the salad ingredients and toss to combine.
- Add grilled sliced chicken to this salad to make it more of a meal.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 327Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 402mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 3gSugar: 9gProtein: 7g