Nothing beats a warm bowl of soup on a cold winters day. This potato and leek soup is the perfect quick and easy soup to warm up with.
This classic soup only requires a few simple ingredients, yet is packed with flavour. It’s the perfect quick and easy dinner that you can have on the table in under 30 minutes.
Ingredients in potato and leek soup
To make this quick and easy soup you will need the following ingredients:
- Olive oil
- Chicken stock (or vegetable stock if you prefer)
- Thickened cream
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh chives
How to make potato and leek soup
One of the great things about soup is that the washing up is usually pretty minimal, and it’s no different with this potato and leek soup. All you need is a large saucepan and you are good to go!
To start, add a drizzle of olive oil to the large saucepan along with the butter, and heat over a low-medium heat. Once the butter has melted, add the thinly sliced leek. Cook the leek while stirring until the leek has softened. Add the crushed garlic and cook until fragrant.
Add to the saucepan the chopped potato and chicken stock, or vegetable stock if preferred. Bring to the boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer. Simmer until the potato is very soft.
Once the potato is soft, remove the saucepan from the heat and puree using a hand-held stick blender. Stir through the thickened cream and season to taste with salt and pepper.
More warming soup recipes
Want more delicious soup inspirations? Look no further than the soup recipes below:
- Chicken and corn soup
- Slow cooker chicken wild rice soup
- Slow cooker carrot soup
- Roasted pumpkin soup
- Cheesy broccoli soup
- Roasted sweet potato soup
Potato and Leek soup recipe
- Drizzle olive oil
- 30g butter
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1kg potatoes, peeled and chopped into 2cm cubes
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 150ml thickened cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Freshly chopped chives, for garnishing
- Heat a large saucepan over a low-medium heat and add the drizzle of olive oil and butter. Once the butter has melted, add the sliced leeks and cook, stirring, until softened. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the diced potatoes and chicken stock to the saucepan and bring to the boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer. Simmer until the potatoes are very soft.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and use a hand-held stick blender to puree the soup until just pureed. Stir through the cream and season to taste with the salt and pepper.
- Spoon the soup into bowls and sprinkle with the chopped chives.