This pizza focaccia takes the classic focaccia and turns it into a delicious pizza. The focaccia base is made using an incredibly simple homemade dough, which results in a perfectly soft and fluffy bread. It is then topped with pizza sauce, fresh mozzarella, pepperoni and fresh basil leaves.
What you need
To make this pizza focaccia you will need the following ingredients:
- Flour – A strong bread flour is always best when making bread dough, but plain flour is fine to use.
- Water – Ensure the water is lukewarm, not too hot and not too cold, to help the yeast rise. Water that is too hot could kill the yeast.
- Olive oil – If possible use extra virgin olive oil.
- Instant yeast – Using instant yeast makes this recipe incredibly simple. There is no need to bloom the yeast before using, just add with the rest of the ingredients.
- Sugar – Use ordinary granulated sugar, although this can be omitted of preferred.
- Pizza sauce – Use a homemade or store bought pizza sauce.
- Pepperoni – This can be substituted with your favorite sliced pizza meat.
- Fresh mozzarella – This can be substituted with grated mozzarella, or your favorite pizza cheese.
- Dried oregano
- Fresh basil – This is optional, but adds a lovely fresh color and flavor to the focaccia.
More pizza recipes
- Mini pizzas
- Thermomix pizza dough
- Pizza scrolls
- Chicken caramelised onion and rocket pizza
- 2 ingredient pizza dough
- 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 cup pizza sauce
- 11 slices pepperoni
- 100g fresh mozzarella, torn into pieces
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Fresh basil, for garnishing
- Add to a large mixing bowl the flour, water, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, yeast, salt and sugar. Use either a stand mixer with dough attachment or your hands to combine the ingredients into a dough, and knead until smooth and elastic. This will take 6 minutes on speed 1 if using a stand mixer, or approximately 8 minutes if kneading by hand.
- Cover the dough in the bowl with cling wrap, and sit somewhere warm for 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Use the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to grease the inside of a 9 inch x 13 inch sheet pan. Punch down the dough, then transfer to the oiled sheet pan. Gently spread the dough to cover the bottom of the sheet pan, making indents all over the dough with a finger. Cover the sheet pan with cling wrap and sit in a warm spot for a further hour, or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 390°F. Remove the cling wrap from the sheet pan and bake for 10 minutes or until lightly golden. Spread with the pizza sauce, then top with the pepperoni, mozzarella and dried oregano. Bake for a further 10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and is lightly golden.
- Garnish the pizza focaccia with the fresh basil, before slicing and serving while warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 454Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 549mgCarbohydrates: 74gFiber: 3gSugar: 1gProtein: 14g