Pie Maker Vanilla Slice
Pie Maker Vanilla Slice
Vanilla slice, one of the most classic desserts around, has had a makeover. All you need is a pie maker, and you can whip up a batch of these delicious individual sized pie maker vanilla slice.
Nothing beats a good vanilla slice, but it’s also one of the hardest desserts to slice into pieces, and is also so messy to eat. This pie maker version involves no slicing, and is much easier to eat, yet still has the same amazing taste.
The vanilla custard filling in these pies is the same filling I use in my easy vanilla slice. It’s basically the cheats way to make the custard filling, but it tastes amazing and gets rave reviews from anyone who tries it.
While custard is normally made using an egg mixture, this easy vanilla filling simple uses vanilla instant pudding, thickened cream and milk. The three ingredients are beaten in a stand mixer or using hand held beaters until thickened.
If you haven’t invested in a pie maker yet, they are amazing. I have only had mine for a few weeks and have already used mine to make pies, cakes and muffins. You can even use it to make individual sized quiches. It’s amazing!
There are plenty of different pie makers around, but I went for the cheaper option and grabbed the Kmart version for $29.
Pie maker vanilla slice recipe
- 1 packet Cottees vanilla instant pudding
- 300ml thickened cream
- 150ml milk
- 4 sheet puff pastry
- Empty the packet of vanilla instant pudding into the bowl of a stand mixer along with the thickened cream and milk. Beat using a wire whisk attachment until thickened. Transfer to the fridge until ready to use.
- Allow to sheets of puff pastry to defrost enough to work with, and pre-heat the pie maker. Use the pastry cutter that came with your pie maker to cut 8 bottom pieces, and 8 top pieces.
- Place 4 of the bottom pieces of pastry in the pie maker, and allow to cook for around 2 minutes with the lid open. This will begin to cook the pastry base, preventing it from going soggy.
- Spoon 1/8 of the vanilla filling into each of the pastry bases. Top with 4 of the pastry lids and close the lid of the pie maker. Cook until the pastry is cooked and golden. Set aside to cool.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Once cooled ice if desired and transfer the pies to the fridge. Keep refrigerated until ready to eat.
How to make basic vanilla icing
Icing the pie maker vanilla slice is completely optional, but it does taste great! To make a basic vanilla icing, you will need:
- 3/4 cup icing sugar
- A few drops of vanilla extract
- 1 – 2 tablespoons water
Place the icing sugar and vanilla extract in a small mixing bowl. Add around 1 tablespoon of water to start with, and mix until all ingredients are well combined, adding extra water if needed to get a spreadable consistency.
Spread the icing over the pies and place in the fridge to set. Store the vanilla slice pies in an airtight container in the fridge.