These patty cakes are the ultimate sweet treat. Nothing beats a light and fluffy vanilla cake topped with a thin layer of sweet icing. Don’t forget the sprinkles!
For those not familiar with patty cakes, they are basically the Australian version of a vanilla cupcake. Most recipes, including this one, are a basic one bowl batter. They are served either without icing, or with a thin layer of basic vanilla icing.
- Turn the patty cakes into butterfly cakes
- Add chocolate chips
- Add dried cranberries
- Add frozen blueberries or raspberries
- Add sultanas
For more cupcake ideas take a look at the recipes below:
Store these patty cakes in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
These cakes are suitable for freezing. Freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature before enjoying.
- 125g butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups self raising flour
For the icing
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- Preheat the oven to 160c fan forced. Line 2 x 6 hole muffin tins with patty pans and set aside.
- Add the softened butter, sugar, vanilla extract, eggs, milk and self raising flour to a large mixing bowl. Beat together with electric hand held beaters until all ingredients are well combined and the batter is smooth.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 12 patty pans.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until the cakes are golden and spring back when lightly touched. Set the cakes aside to cool completely.
To make the icing
- Add the icing sugar to a mixing bowl along with the softened butter and boiling water. Mix until well combined and the icing is smooth.
- Spread the icing over the cooled cupcakes.
- Enjoy the cakes as they are, or top with vanilla icing or you favourite icing.
- The vanilla extract gives the patty cakes their delicious vanilla flavour. If you don't have any on hand, substitute with 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 284Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 346mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 1gSugar: 26gProtein: 4g