This orange cake is so simple to make, yet tastes absolutely delicious. Topped with an orange glaze, it really is the perfect orange cake.
With oranges being in season at the moment here in Australia, now is the perfect time to make this flavour filled cake using fresh, local oranges. Both the zest and juice of the oranges are used in this cake and it’s icing, making for a perfectly moist cake that is packed with flavour.
More easy cake recipes
Want more easy cake inspiration? Take a look at the following cake recipes:
- Caramilk mud cake
- Strawberry sheet cake
- Banana cake
- Chocolate crazy cake
- Condensed milk cake
- Chocolate sheet cake
What you need
Ready to whip up an orange cake for afternoon tea? Before making a start, check you have the following ingredients:
- Butter – Salted butter was used in this cake, but unsalted butter could also be used. If using unsalted butter, consider adding 1/2 teaspoon salt to the cake batter.
- Sugar – Ordinary white (granulated sugar) was used in this cake.
- Eggs – 2 large sized eggs were used in this recipe.
- Freshly squeezed orange juice – Use fresh orange juice if possible, but this can be substituted with bottled juice if fresh isn’t available.
- Orange zest – If fresh oranges are not available this could be omitted, however the orange flavour will not be anywhere near as strong.
- Self raising flour – If you don’t have any self raising flour on hand, simply substitute with 1 1/2 cups plain flour and 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder.
Step by step instructions
Before making a start on the cake batter, preheat the oven to 180c. Line a small loaf tin with baking paper and set aside.
Add to the bowl of a stand mixer the butter and sugar. Beat until light and creamy. Add the eggs and beat once again until well combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
Add the orange juice and orange zest. Beat until well combined. Finally, add the self raising flour and beat on a low speed at first until the flour has combined with the other ingredients. Increase the speed and beat for 2 minutes until the batter is smooth.
Pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin and smooth the top. Bake for around 40 minutes or until cooked through. Allow to cool completely. Top with the orange glaze.
Ingredients in the orange glaze
- Butter – Salted butter was used, but this can be replaced with unsalted butter.
- Icing sugar – Ordinary icing sugar (powdered sugar), not pure icing sugar, was used to make this icing.
- Orange juice – Use fresh orange juice is possible.
- Orange zest
To make the orange glaze, add the butter, icing sugar, orange juice and orange zest to a small saucepan. Stir over a low heat until the butter has melted and the glaze is smooth. Allow to cool slightly before spreading over the cake.
Store this cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
This cake is suitable for freezing if left un-iced. Freeze the cake for up to 3 months, defrost at room temperature then cover with icing.
- 125g butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 1/2 cups self raising flour
- 40g butter, extra
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice, extra
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, extra
- Preheat oven to 180c. Line a small loaf tin with baking paper and set aside.
- Add to a stand mixer the softened butter and sugar. Beat until light and creamy.
- Add the eggs and beat until well combined, scraping the sides of the bowl when needed.
- Add the freshly squeezed orange juice and zest and beat until combined. Finally, add the self raising flour and beat on low until incorporated wth the other ingredients, increasing the speed to high and beating for a further 2 minutes.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin, smoothing the top. Bake for around 40 minutes or until cooked through. Allow to cool completely.
- To make the orange icing glaze, add the extra butter, icing sugar, orange juice and zest to a small saucepan. Stir over a low heat until the butter has melted and glaze is smooth. Allow to cool slightly before spreading onto cooled cake.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 288Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 73mgSodium: 344mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 1gSugar: 22gProtein: 3g