This orange cake is so simple to make, yet tastes absolutely delicious. Topped with an orange glaze, it really is the perfect orange cake.
With oranges being in season at the moment here in Australia, now is the perfect time to make this flavour filled cake using fresh, local oranges. Both the zest and juice of the oranges are used in this cake and it’s icing, making for a perfectly moist cake that is packed with flavour.
More easy cake recipes
Want more easy cake inspiration? Take a look at the following cake recipes:
- Caramilk mud cake
- Strawberry sheet cake
- Banana cake
- Chocolate crazy cake
- Condensed milk cake
- Chocolate sheet cake
Ingredients in orange cake
Ready to whip up an orange cake for afternoon tea? Before making a start, check you have the following ingredients:
- Freshly squeezed orange juice
- Orange zest
- Self raising flour
How to make orange cake
Before making a start on the cake batter, preheat the oven to 180c. Line a small loaf tin with baking paper and set aside.
Add to the bowl of a stand mixer the butter and sugar. Beat until light and creamy. Add the eggs and beat once again until well combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
Add the orange juice and orange zest. Beat until well combined. Finally, add the self raising flour and beat on a low speed at first until the flour has combined with the other ingredients. Increase the speed and beat for 2 minutes until the batter is smooth.
Pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin and smooth the top. Bake for around 40 minutes or until cooked through. Allow to cool completely. Top with the orange glaze.
Ingredients in orange glaze
- Icing sugar
- Orange juice
- Orange zest
To make the orange glaze, add the butter, icing sugar, orange juice and orange zest to a small saucepan. Stir over a low heat until the butter has melted and the glaze is smooth. Allow to cool slightly before spreading over the cake.
Orange cake with orange glaze recipe
- 125g butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 1/2 cups self raising flour
- 40g butter, extra
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice, extra
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, extra
- Preheat oven to 180c. Line a small loaf tin with baking paper and set aside.
- Add to a stand mixer the softened butter and sugar. Beat until light and creamy.
- Add the eggs and beat until well combined, scraping the sides of the bowl when needed.
- Add the freshly squeezed orange juice and zest and beat until combined. Finally, add the self raising flour and beat on low until incorporated wth the other ingredients, increasing the speed to high and beating for a further 2 minutes.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin, smoothing the top. Bake for around 40 minutes or until cooked through. Allow to cool completely.
- To make the orange icing glaze, add the extra butter, icing sugar, orange juice and zest to a small saucepan. Stir over a low heat until the butter has melted and glaze is smooth. Allow to cool slightly before spreading onto cooled cake.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 288Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 73mgSodium: 344mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 1gSugar: 22gProtein: 3g