There is nothing like baking a batch of homemade treats, like these classic melting moments. Most of us grew up with these delicious buttercream filled biscuits, and they are still one of the best baked treats around.
For those not familiar with melting moments, they are two shortbread style biscuits, sandwiched together with a buttercream filling. They are egg free, and contain only a few simple ingredients, making it so quick and easy to whip up a batch.
The difference between melting moments and other shortbread biscuits comes down to one secret ingredient, custard powder. The addition of custard powder gives the biscuits a delicious taste and that beautiful golden colour.
A little custard powder is also added to the buttercream filling to give it a delicious custardy flavour.
Melting Moments Recipe
- 175g butter, softened
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1/4 cup custard powder
- 50g butter, softened, extra for filling
- 1/2 cup icing sugar, extra for filling
- 1 tablespoons custard powder, extra for filling
- Preheat the oven to 180c. Line a baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
- Place the butter and icing sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and beat again until well combined.
- Add the plain flour and custard powder to the butter mixture and mix on a low speed until a dough has formed.
- Roll teaspoons full of dough into balls and place on the prepared baking tray. Flatten biscuits with a fork.
- Bake for around 15 minutes, or until just starting to turn golden. Set aside to cool completely.
- Place the extra butter, icing sugar and custard powder to the stand mixer bowl, and beat well until all ingredients are well combined.
- Use the buttercream filling to sandwich together the cooled biscuits.
- Store any uneaten biscuits in an airtight container at room temperature.