This lemon magic custard cake magically separates into 3 layers when baked. It start with a fudgy bottom layer, followed by a smooth custard centre and a light as air cake layer on top.
This cake uses both the zest and juice from fresh lemons which adds the most amazing flavour to this cake. It’s s delicious that it might just end up in your regular recipe rotation.
Easy cake recipes
If this lemon cake has left you wanting more easy cake recipes to try, look no further than the recipes below:
- Chocolate magic custard cake
- Vanilla magic custard cake
- Orange cake
- Caramilk mud cake
- Strawberry sheet cake
- Banana cake
Ingredients in lemon magic custard cake
Wondering what ingredients are used to create this magic cake? The basic ingredients you will need are:
- Eggs, at room temperature
- White sugar
- Butter, melted
- Lemon zest
- Lemon juice
- Plain flour
- Milk, lukewarm
How to make lemon magic custard cake
Before making a start on the magic cake batter, first preheat the oven to 160c fan forced. Line a square cake tin with baking paper and set aside.
Seperate the eggs into egg yolks and egg white, adding the egg yolks to a large mixing bowl, and the egg whites to the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat the egg whites in the stand mixer until stiff peaks form. Set the egg white aside while making a start on the egg yolks.
Add the sugar to the egg yolks and whisk until well combined. Next, add the melted butter, lemon zest and lemon juice to the egg yolk mixture and whisk once again until well combined. Gradually add the plain flour, whisking well between each addition, then do the same with the lukewarm milk.
Transfer the egg white to the bowl with the egg yolk mixture, and gently fold through to combine. It’s ok if some lumps of egg white remain. Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake tin and bake for 45 minutes or until the cake is golden. Allow to cool completely in the tin.
Remove the cake from the tin and dust with icing sugar before slicing and serving. Store the cake in an airtight container in the fridge.
Lemon Magic Custard Cake recipe
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 115g butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 2 cups milk, lukewarm
- Preheat the oven to 160c. Line a square cake tin with baking paper and set aside.
- Separate the eggs, adding the egg yolks to a large mixing bowl. Add the egg whites to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until stiff peaks form. Set the eggs whites aside.
- Add the sugar to the bowl with the egg yolks and whisk until well combined. Add the melted butter, lemon zest and lemon juice and whisk once again. Gradually add the flour, whisking well in between each addition, then repeat with the milk.
- Gently fold the egg white into the egg yolk mixture. Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin and bake for 45 minutes or until the cake is golden. Allow to cool in tin completely.
- Remove the cake from the tin and dust with icing sugar if desired before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 191Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 86mgSodium: 108mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 0gSugar: 13gProtein: 4g