This lemon coconut slice is one of Australia’s favourite slices for a very good reason, it’s the easiest and most delicious lemon slice around! There is absolutely no baking whatsoever involved in this slice. Simply whip up the slice, pop it in the fridge to set and it’s ready to enjoy.
This slice features a base made using crushed plain sweet biscuits, sweetened condensed milk, coconut and of course lemon. It is then topped with a creamy lemon icing and a sprinkle of coconut. The is the ultimate way to use up a few lemons.
- Lemon Weetbix slice
- Lemon magic custard cake
- Lemon brownies
- Lemon meringue slice
- Lemon yoghurt cake
- Lemon butter
What you need
To make this lemon slice you will need the following ingredients:
- Fresh lemons – Fresh lemons taste best in this slice, but if fresh lemon are not available they can be substituted with bottled lemon juice. If using bottled lemon juice, omit the lemon zest from the recipe.
- Plain biscuits – Use any plain sweet biscuits, such as arrowroot, nice or marie.
- Sweetened condensed milk – Be sure to use a full fat sweetened condensed milk, which will help the slice set firmer.
- Desiccated coconut – Use desiccated coconut as opposed to shredded or shaved.
- Butter – Salted butter was used to make this slice, however this can be substituted for unsalted butter.
For the lemon icing you will need:
- Fresh lemons
- Icing sugar – This recipe was made using icing mixture, however pure icing sugar could also be used, which will result in a firmer icing.
- Butter – As with the slice base, salted butter was used, but can be substituted for unsalted butter if preferred.
- 125g butter
- 1/2 of a 395g tin sweetened condensed milk
- 250g plain biscuits, crushed
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- extra desiccated coconut, for sprinkling over the icing
- 60g butter
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Line a slice tin with baking paper. Set aside.
- Place the butter and condensed milk in a microwave safe bowl and microwave is short bursts until melted.
- Add the crushed biscuits, lemon zest, lemon juice and desiccated coconut to the condensed milk mixture. Stir until well combined. Press the mixture into the prepared slice tin and transfer to the fridge to begin setting while making the icing.
- To make the icing, melt the butter using the microwave in a small microwave safe mixing bowl. Add the icing sugar and enough lemon juice to make a spreadable consistency. Mix the icing until well combined.
- Spread the icing over the slice base and sprinkle with a little extra desiccated coconut. Place in the fridge for 1-2 hours to set before slicing.
- If the icing is too thick, add a little extra lemon juice. If the icing is too thin, add a little extra icing sugar.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 229Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 175mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 1gSugar: 20gProtein: 2g