Nothing beats jam drop biscuits for a classic recipe that everyone is sure to love. There is something irresistible about sweet, sticky jam surrounded by a melt-in-your-mouth biscuit.
Not only are these biscuits delicious, but they are also super easy to make. The biscuit dough only takes a few minutes to whip up in a mixer or Thermomix. Then simply roll into balls, make an indent, fill with jam and bake.
Need more biscuit recipe inspiration? Take a look at the recipes below:
How to make jam drops
Step one: Beat the butter and sugar together using either a stand mixer, electric hand mixers or a Thermomix.
Step two: Mix through the egg and vanilla extract.
Step three: Stir in the plain flour and baking powder until a dough forms.
Step four: Roll teaspoons full of dough into balls and place on a lined baking tray.
Step 5: Use a finger to make indents in each dough ball.
Step 6: Fill each indent 3/4 full with jam.
Step 7: Bake until lightly golden.
Ingredients in jam drop biscuits
You will need the following ingredients to make a batch of these delicious biscuits:
- Butter – I use salted butter, but you can use either salted or unsalted. Ensure the butter is softened before creaming with the sugar.
- Caster sugar – Caster sugar is perfect for this recipe as it is finer than ordinary white sugar. However white sugar will work just fine if it’s all you have on hand.
- Vanilla extract – I use vanilla extract rather than vanilla essence as it has a stronger vanilla flavour.
- Plain flour
- Baking powder
- Jam – I have used strawberry jam to make my biscuits, however any flavour of jam will work great.
Jam Drop Biscuits recipe
- 125g butter, softened
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup jam, any flavour
- Preheat the oven to 180c. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper and set aside.
- Using a stand mixer, electric hand held beaters or a Thermomix, beat the butter and sugar together until light and creamy. Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- Add the flour and baking powder and stir through until a dough forms.
- Take heaped teaspoons full of the dough and roll into balls, placing on the lined baking trays. Use a finger to make an indent in each ball, and 3/4 fill the indent with jam.
- Bake the biscuits for 12 minutes, or until lightly golden, switching the trays halfway through the cooking time.
- Allow the biscuits to cool completely on the baking trays.
- Either salted or unsalted butter can be used in this recipe
- Any flavour jam works well in jam drops, so feel free to choose your favourite
- Don't fill the biscuits with too much jam or they will overflow when baked. Try to only fill the biscuits 3/4 full; you can always top up the jam as needed once the biscuits are baked.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 102Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 48mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 0gSugar: 6gProtein: 1g