Nothing beats jam drop biscuits for a classic recipe that everyone is sure to love. There is something irresistible about sweet, sticky jam surrounded by a melt-in-your-mouth biscuit.
Not only are these biscuits delicious, but they are also super easy to make. The biscuit dough only takes a few minutes to whip up in a mixer or Thermomix. Then simply roll into balls, make an indent, fill with jam and bake.
Need more biscuit recipe inspiration? Take a look at the recipes below:
- Golden syrup biscuits
- Coffee scroll biscuits
- Monte carlo biscuits
- Cornflake biscuits
- Afghan biscuits
- Anzac biscuits
- Milo biscuits
Step by step instructions
Step 1. Beat the butter and sugar
Beat the butter and sugar together using either a stand mixer, electric hand mixers or a Thermomix.
Step 2. Add the egg and vanilla
Add the egg and vanilla extract to the butter mixture and mix until well combined.
Step 3. Form a dough
Add the plain flour and baking powder, and mix until well combined and a dough has formed.
Step 4. Roll into balls
Roll teaspoons full of dough into balls and place on a lined baking tray. A cookie scoop can make it easier to scoop the dough and ensure each ball is the same size.
Step 5. Make an indent
Use a finger to make indents in each dough ball.
Step 6. Fill with jam
Fill each indent 3/4 full with jam. Be sure not to overfill the biscuits with the jam, as the jam will spill over as it heats when baking.
Step 7. Bake
Bake until lightly golden.
What you need
You will need the following ingredients to make a batch of these delicious biscuits:
- Butter – I use salted butter, but you can use either salted or unsalted. Ensure the butter is softened before creaming with the sugar.
- Caster sugar – Caster sugar is perfect for this recipe as it is finer than ordinary white sugar. However white sugar will work just fine if it’s all you have on hand.
- Vanilla extract – I use vanilla extract rather than vanilla essence as it has a stronger vanilla flavour.
- Plain flour
- Baking powder
- Jam – I have used strawberry jam to make my biscuits, however any flavour of jam will work great.
- 125g butter, softened
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup jam, any flavour
- Preheat the oven to 180c. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper and set aside.
- Using a stand mixer, electric hand held beaters or a Thermomix, beat the butter and sugar together until light and creamy. Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- Add the flour and baking powder and stir through until a dough forms.
- Take heaped teaspoons full of the dough and roll into balls, placing on the lined baking trays. Use a finger to make an indent in each ball, and 3/4 fill the indent with jam.
- Bake the biscuits for 12 minutes, or until lightly golden, switching the trays halfway through the cooking time.
- Allow the biscuits to cool completely on the baking trays.
- Either salted or unsalted butter can be used in this recipe
- Any flavour jam works well in jam drops, so feel free to choose your favourite
- Don't fill the biscuits with too much jam or they will overflow when baked. Try to only fill the biscuits 3/4 full; you can always top up the jam as needed once the biscuits are baked.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 102Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 48mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 0gSugar: 6gProtein: 1g