Iced Vovo Balls
For those not familiar with them, Iced VoVo’s are an iconic Australia biscuit which is topped with pink fondant, a strip or raspberry jam and a sprinkling of coconut. You can probably figure out exactly what makes these Iced VoVo Balls so amazing.
This is a super simple recipe that like many of the sweet recipes on our website, only requires a few ingredients. The basics you will need are the Iced VoVo biscuits, and package of cream cheese and some white chocolate for coating. The pink chocolate food colouring and desiccated coconut are completely optional, but give these Iced VoVo balls a little extra special something.
If you don’t live in Australia and can’t find Iced Vovo’s, you can substitute them with a similar biscuit or cookie. You could even use plain cookies and add a little raspberry jam and coconut to the mixture.
To make these Iced Vovo Balls, first you need to crush the biscuits. You can use either a food processor, or add the biscuits to a zip lock bag and bash with a rolling pin. Once the biscuits are crushed, add them to a large mixing bowl along with the cream cheese. Give the mixture a really good stir until the biscuits and cream cheese are well combined and have formed a large ball.
Take spoonfuls of the mixture and roll into balls. If you find the mixture is getting too sticky, try wetting your hands after rolling every few balls, or place the mixture in the freezer for a few minutes to firm up slightly. Place the balls on a plate as you go. Once all the mixture has been turned rolled into balls, place them in the freezer for a few minutes while you prepare the chocolate coating.
To make the chocolate coating, melt the white chocolate in the microwave. If using food colouring, add it once the chocolate has melted and give it a good stir so the colour is evenly distributed through the white chocolate. If you are using food colouring, be sure to only using colouring suitable for chocolate. Ordinary liquid food colouring are water based, and will make the melted chocolate seize up and become unusable. I used a powdered chocolate food colouring. You can get pink chocolate food colouring, but I only had red on hand so I just added a small amount until I got a pink colour I was happy with.
Once the chocolate coating is ready, remove the balls from the freezer and dip in the melted chocolate. Place them back on the plate and sprinkle with a little coconut. Place in the fridge to set before eating.
- 1 1/2 packets Arnott's Iced Vovo Biscuits
- 250g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 200g white chocolate
- Pink chocolate food colouring
- Desiccated coconut
- Crush the Iced Vovo biscuits using a food processor. Place the crushed biscuits in a large mixing bowl along with the cream cheese. Stir the mixture until well combined and the mixture has formed a large ball.
- Take spoonfuls of the mixture and roll into a ball. Place the balls on a plate, and put in the freezer to firm up while preparing the chocolate coating.
- Melt the white chocolate in a mixing bowl in the microwave. Add a small amount of the chocolate food colouring and stir until evenly coloured.
- Remove the Iced Vovo Balls from the freezer and coat in the melted chocolate. Sprinkle each ball with a little coconut. Place the balls back on the plate, then place the plate in the fridge to set before serving.