These ice cream cone cupcakes are a twist in traditional cupcakes. They are much simpler to make than they look, just bake the cake batter in the ice cream cones and once cool pipe the icing on top to look like ice cream.
You can use any cake batter that has a thick consistency; if the batter is too runny the cones will soften. Our cake recipe is perfect for baking in ice cream cones, and is the perfect amount for 12 cones.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Ice cream cones – Use flat bottomed ice cream cones, which are necessary to help the cones stand as the cupcakes bake.
- Butter – Salted butter was used in this recipe, however unsalted butter can also be used. If using unsalted butter, consider adding a pinch of salt to the cake batter.
- Sugar – Use ordinary white sugar.
- Self raising flour – If you only have plain flour on hand, combine 3/4 cup of plain flour with 3/4 teaspoon of baking powder to make your own self raising flour.
- Eggs – 2 large sized eggs were used in this recipe.
- Vanilla extract – The vanilla extract can be substituted with 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence.
- Milk – Full fat milk was used in this recipe, however lower fat varieties can also be used.
- Icing sugar – Use icing mixture.
- 12 Ice Cream Cones flat bottomed
- 125 grams Butter softened
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 3/4 cup Self Raising Flour
- 2 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 teaspoons Milk
- Food Colouring
- 250 grams Butter softened
- 2 cups Icing Sugar
- Beat the butter, sugar and vanilla extract together in a mixer until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and beat after each addition. Add in the flour and milk and mix until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the cones, making sure the batter goes right to the bottom of each cone. Bake in the oven at 160c for 30 minutes, or until cooked through and springy to touch. Cool completely before icing.
- To make the icing, beat the butter, icing sugar and vanilla extract in a mixer until pale and fluffy. Using a piping bag and star nozzle, pipe the icing onto each cupcake. Decorate with sprinkles.