There is something special about a hummingbird cake. The mix of fruity flavours and the texture of the added nuts makes it one of my favourite cakes. And of course it’s finished perfectly with a sweet layer of cream cheese icing.
If you have never had a hummingbird cake, it’s a bit like a tropical banana cake thanks to the addition of crushed pineapple. It really is the most amazing combination of flavours, and I highly recommend you give this recipe a go.
After more delicious cake recipes? Take a look at the ideas below:
- Chocolate sour cream cake
- Lemon magic custard cake
- Caramilk mud cake
- Orange cake
- Strawberry sheet cake
- Banana cake
- Chocolate crazy cake
- Condensed milk cake
- Pineapple upside down cake
How to store hummingbird cake
Hummingbird cake should be stored in the fridge because of the cream cheese icing. Store the hummingbird cake in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. This cake can be frozen un-iced.
Hummingbird cake recipe
For the cake
- 1 1/2 cups self raising flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 440g can crushed pineapple
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
For the cream cheese icing
- 100g cream cheese, softened
- 50g butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cups icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line a 23cm square cake pan with baking paper and set aside. Preheat the oven to 170c fan forced.
- Combine self raising flour, ground cinnamon, desiccated coconut, brown sugar and chopped walnuts in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the crushed pineapple and all of its syrup, mashed bananas, eggs and canola oil. Add the pineapple mixture to the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix to combine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin. Bake for 1 hour or until cooked through. Allow to cool completely.
- To make the cream cheese icing, beat together the softened cream cheese, softened butter, vanilla extract and icing sugar until light and fluffy. Spread over the cooled cake.
- Store this cake in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 394Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 260mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 2gSugar: 36gProtein: 4g