Run out of sweetened condensed milk? Don’t panic, it’s actually very quick and easy to whip up a batch from scratch. If you have ever wondered how to make condensed milk, this simple recipe will have you making your own condensed milk in no time.
Homemade condensed milk only requires 4 ingredients, and the benefit is you can control exactly what goes in it, from whether it’s made with full cream or skim milk powder to the amount of sugar used.
This condensed milk will last a few days in the fridge, and can be used either immediately or placed in the fridge to thicken. The only issue is trying to resist the urge to eat this condensed milk by the spoonful before it makes it into any recipes, it really tastes that good!
Recipes that use sweetened condensed milk
Wondering how to use your condensed milk? Try these recipes that contain condensed milk:
- Condensed milk cake
- Condensed milk berry cheesecake slice
- Caramilk fudge
- Pineapple lumps slice
- Cherry ripe slice
- Pie maker condensed milk pancakes
- Biscoff Ice Cream
Ingredients in condensed milk
Ready to whip up a batch of your very own sweetened condensed milk? You will need the following ingredients:
- Milk powder, either full cream or skim
- White sugar
- Boiling water
How to make condensed milk
To make this condensed milk you will need either a stand mixer or food processor. First, add the milk powder and sugar to the bowl of the stand mixer or food processor. Measure the boiling water in a heat proof jug and add the butter, stirring with a spoon until the butter has melted.
Add the boiling water and butter mixture to the milk powder and sugar, and beat or process until smooth and well combined. Pour into a glass jar or suitable container and place in the fridge for a few hours to thicken. Use within 2-3 days.
Condensed milk recipe
- 1 cup milk powder, either full cream or skim
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- Add the butter to the boiling water and stir to combine. Pour the butter mixture into a food processor or stand mixer along with the milk powder and sugar, and beat or process until the mixture is smooth and well combined.
- Pour the condensed milk into a glass jar or suitable container and place in the fridge for 2 hours to thicken. Use within 2-3 days.
- This recipe makes the equivalent of 1 x 395g tin of sweetened condensed milk.