How to clean your dishwasher
Commercial dishwasher cleaners can be very expensive, with a bottle on Finish Dishwasher Cleaner (that only does one clean, and we need 2 bottle for our double Dishdrawer) costing over $6. I have tried commercial cleaner a few times, and it has made next to no difference to my dishwasher, what a waste of money! This method of cleaning your dishwasher is very budget friendly, and best of all only uses ingredients you will find in your pantry.
– Start with an empty dishwasher.
– Half fill your kitchen sink with hot water and add 1-2 cups of white vinegar. Remove all racks and cutlery holders and wipe down. Remove the arm and filter, basically all the parts you can remove by hand. Place in the sink and wipe down, using a toothpick to remove any bits of food from the water spray holes if necessary.
– Using a paper towel, remove all of the food gunk from the bottom of the dishwasher. Use a damp cloth and vinegar to wipe down the inside of the dishwasher, use a bicarb paste and an old toothbrush to scrub the hard to reach places.
– Replace all parts of the dishwasher. Add 2 cups of white vinegar to the dishwasher and turn on a low or energy saving wash. stop the dishwasher half way through the cycle and let sit for a while. Then turn the dishwasher back on a finish the cycle.
– Admire your clean dishwasher!