Hot cross buns are an Easter staple. There is nothing better than a warm hot cross bun cut in half with a good amount of butter.
These buns are everything a hot cross buns should be. They are so soft and fluffy, and perfectly spiced with a good amount of sultanas. Best of all, they are not too difficult to make.
Easter is on it’s way, which is the perfect excuse to get busy in the kitchen making some of these delicious Easter inspired recipes:
- Caramilk Easter bunny milkshakes
- Cheesecake filled Easter eggs
- Chocolate creme egg fudge
- Hot cross bun french toast fingers
- Hot cross scrolls
Hot cross bun recipe
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 60g butter, softened
- 3 teaspoons dried instant yeast
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup sultanas
For the cross
- 4 tablespoons chilled water
- 4 tablespoons plain flour
- Add to the bowl of a stand mixer the bread flour, lukewarm water, sugar, butter, yeast, ground cinnamon and nutmeg. Knead for 5 minutes using a dough hook. Alternatively, knead for 10 minutes if kneading by hand. Hand knead through the sultanas.
- Cover the dough in the mixing bowl and place in a warm spot until doubled in size.
- Punch down the dough. Divide the dough into 12 equal portions. Place the portions in a lined or greased baking dish, cover and sit in a warm spot until doubled in size once again.
- Before baking the buns, mix together the chilled water and flour to make a paste. Pipe crosses on the buns.
- Bake the buns at 180c fan forced for 15-20 minutes, or until cooked through and golden.
- Transfer the buns to a cooling rack and allow to cool.
The sultanas can be substituted with any dried fruit.
There is no need to preheat the oven for this recipe.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 210Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 35mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 2gSugar: 8gProtein: 5g