Healthier Hollandaise Sauce
I love nothing more than an English muffin topped with a poached egg and drizzle with hollandaise sauce for breakfast. Unfortunately hollandaise sauce really isn’t the healthiest of sauces thanks to all that butter, but thankfully this healthier hollandaise sauce is the perfect alternative.
Enjoy this hollandaise sauce on your morning homemade eggs Benedict, or any other way you typically enjoy your hollandaise sauce.
This sauce is so quick and easy, and really tastes amazing smothered on top of perfectly cooked poached eggs. This will become your new favourite sauce whenever you feel like something a little lighter and healthier.
More great breakfast ideas
Breakfast doesn’t have to be boring. Check out the below breakfast ideas to help keep the first meal of the day that little bit more interesting:
- Peach crumble smoothie
- Banana honey pikelets
- Hot cross bun french toast fingers
- Fluffy blueberry pancakes
How to make healthier hollandaise sauce
This healthier version is made on the stovetop, using a double boiler. To make the sauce, you will need a small saucepan, and a small heatproof bowl. Fill the saucepan with a layer of water, and bring to a simmer over a low heat. Make sure that the water level is low enough that the water wont touch the bottom of the heatproof bowl once it starts simmering.
Once the water in the saucepan is simmering, sit the heatproof bowl on top of the saucepan. Add to the bowl the natural yoghurt, egg yolk, squeeze of lemon juice, Dijon mustard and sugar. Stir until well combined, and continue stirring over a low heat until the sauce thickens. This will take a few minutes.
Once the sauce has thickened, season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Healthier hollandaise sauce recipe
- 1/4 cup natural yoghurt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fill a small saucepan with a layer of water and bring to a simmer over a low heat.
- Once the water is simmering, place a small heatproof bowl over the saucepan and add to the bowl the natural yoghurt, egg yolk, Dijon mustard, sugar and squeeze of lemon juice.
- Stir until all ingredients are combined, and continue stirring over a low heat until the sauce thickens.
- Once the sauce has thickened, season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.