Golden Syrup Dumplings
Golden Syrup Dumplings
Golden syrup dumplings are the ultimate comforting dessert. There is no better way to enjoy a cold winters night than snuggling under a blanket with a warm bowl of sweet and sticky dumplings.
If you haven’t tried golden syrup dumplings yet, you really need to give them a go. The dumplings are light and fluffy and soak up that delicious golden syrup flavour as they cook. The golden syrup mixture the dumplings cook in becomes the most amazing thickened golden syrup sauce, which is the perfect accompaniment to the dumplings.
While these dumplings are amazing as they, serving them with cream or ice cream adds the perfect amount of creaminess, making it the perfect winter dessert.
How to make golden syrup dumplings
These dumplings are so quick and easy to put together, making them the perfect dessert for when guests are over, or those times you just need a warming dessert on a cold winters night.
Start by making the dumpling mixture. Roughly chop the cold butter into cubes, then add to a large mixing bowl alongside the self raising flour. Use your fingers to rub the butter into the flour, until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
Add the milk and golden syrup to the flour mixture, and stir with a spoon until all ingredients are well combined. Set the dumpling mixture aside while you make a start on the syrup.
These dumplings are best made in a large saucepan or saute pan. It doesn’t matter which you use, as long as it has a lid. Add the water, brown sugar, extra golden syrup and extra butter to your saucepan. Heat over a medium-high heat until the butter has melted and the mixture is starting to boil.
Add tablespoons full of the dumpling mixture to the boiling syrup. Once all of the dumpling mixture has been added, reduce the heat to low and cover. Leave the dumplings to simmer for around 15 minutes, or until the dumplings are cooked through.
Serve the dumplings while warm as they are, or with cream or vanilla ice cream.
Golden syrup dumplings recipe
- 50g butter, roughly chopped into cubes
- 1 1/2 cups self raising flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup golden syrup, extra
- 50g butter, extra
- Add the cubed butter and self raising flour to a large mixing bowl. Rub the butter into the flour using your fingers, until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the milk and tablespoon of golden syrup to the flour and mix with a spoon until all ingredients are well combined. Set aside while making a start on the syrup.
- In a large saucepan or saute pan, add the water, brown sugar, 1/4 of extra golden syrup and 50g of extra butter. Heat over a medium-high heat until the butter has melted and the mixture begins to boil.
- Add tablespoons full of the dumpling mixture to the boiling syrup. Reduce the heat to low and simmer with the lid on for around 15 minutes, or until the dumplings are cooked through.
- Serve the dumplings with cream or ice cream.