Fairy bread is one of those iconic Australian (and New Zealand) foods that just makes sense. After all, sprinkles on bread is always a good idea.
What is fairy bread
For those not familiar with it, fairy bread is basically just 100s and 1000s (round colourful sprinkles) sprinkles on buttered white bread. It is usually served at kids birthday parties, and usually disappears as soon as it appears on the food table. It’s that popular!
Holding a party and need some food inspiration? Give some of the recipes below a try:
Ingredients and substitutions
- Bread – Preferably white sandwich bread, although you could use other varieties of bread, as long as they are soft and fluffy.
- Butter – Ensure your butter is slightly softened to make it easier to spread. Salted butter will taste best, and this could be substituted for other butter type spreads.
- 100s and 1000s – Or any other variety of sprinkles.
Should I use butter or margarine?
I prefer the taste of real butter when it comes to fairy bread, however margarine will work just as well. Whichever butter type spread your ordinarily use will work fine when it comes to fairy bread.
You could also get creative and substitute the butter for Nutella, Biscoff spread or other sandwich spreads.
Fairy bread is best eaten soon after making, but can be stored for up to 1 day in an airtight container in the fridge. Bring to room temperature before enjoying. Be sure to keep the bread covered to avoid it drying out.
Fair bread is not suitable for freezing.
- 4 slices white bread
- 20g butter, slightly softened
- 2 tablespoons 100s and 1000s
- Spread the softened butter on one side of the bread slices.
- Sprinkle with 100s and 1000s.
- Slice diagonally into triangles.
- Fairy bread is best served immediately while the bread is fresh.
- Scale up this recipe depending on the number of servings needed.
- Fairy bread can be served with crusts on or removed.
- Cover fairy bread immediately after making to ensure the bread doesn't dry out before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 118Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 184mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 3g