Vanilla slice is one of those classic bakery treats that we all grew up with. It’s still one of my favourite desserts! Who can resist that creamy custard and flaky pastry, topped with a layer of sweet icing.
Vanilla slice, sometime known as custard slice, is one of those desserts that can be a little tricky to make. This quick and easy version has all of the taste of a vanilla slice, without having to make a custard from scratch.
What is vanilla slice?
For those not familiar with vanilla slice, it’s a very popular dessert here in Australia that is found in most bakeries around the country. It consists of two pieces of puff pastry, filled with a thick layer of custard and topped with a thin layer of sweet icing.
More slice recipes
If you love this vanilla slice, you might like to try these other slice recipes:
- Lemon Weetbix slice
- Apple sour cream slice
- Caramilk slice
- Weetbix slice
- Mars bar slice
- Apricot slice
What you need
Ready to whip up a batch of this delicious vanilla custard slice? These are the ingredients you will need:
- Puff pastry – Use 2 sheets of frozen squares of puff pastry
- Thickened cream – Use a full fat thickened ( heavy cream). Don’t be tempted to use a lower fat cream, the higher fat content will help the filling hold its shape.
- Cottee’s instant vanilla pudding mix – Or any alternative brand of instant vanilla pudding mix.
- Milk – Use a full fat milk.
- Icing sugar – Use standard icing sugar (powdered sugar).
- Butter – Salted butter was used in this recipe, but unsalted can also be used.
- Boiling water
This vanilla slice should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. This slice is not suitable for freezing.
Step by step instructions
Step 1. Bake the pastry
To make this delicious slice, first lightly grease two oven trays and place one sheet of thawed puff pastry on each, then prick all over with a fork. Bake in the oven for around 20 minutes, or until the are golden and puffed. Set the pastry aside to cool before making a start on the vanilla filling.
Step 2. Make the filling
To make the filling, first whip some thickened cream in a stand mixer or with hand held beaters until stiff peaks form, then set aside. Mix some vanilla pudding mix with milk in another bowl using a whisk until the mixture thickens.
Step 3. Assemble the slice
Quickly fold the whipped cream into the vanilla pudding mix, then spread over one of the cooled pastry sheets, topping with the other sheet.
Step 4. Make the icing
Finally, to make the icing mix some icing sugar with a little butter and water until the icing is a spreadable consistency, then spread over the top of the vanilla slice. Slice and enjoy!
- 2 Sheets Puff Pastry
- 300 ml Thickened Cream
- 2 x 100g Packets Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix
- 500 ml Milk
- 1 1/2 Cups Icing Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Soft Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Boiling Water
- Preheat the oven to 180c. Put pastry sheets onto two lightly greased baking trays & prick all over with a fork. Bake for 20 minutes, until they are puffed and golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Whip cream with electric beater until soft peaks form, put aside in the fridge. Put vanilla pudding mix and milk in another bowl and stir using wire whisk until thickened.
- Quickly fold the whipped cream into the pudding mix then spread over the top side of one of the pastry sheets. Put the other sheet on top, flat side up.
- Sift icing sugar into a bowl and stir in the butter and water. Spread over the top of the slice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 259Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 289mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 0gSugar: 30gProtein: 3g