Easy Summer Unicorn Parfaits
Summer is the perfect time for cold desserts, like these easy summer unicorn parfaits. They are great for those summer get-togethers, or even just because. Best of all, these parfaits are very budget friendly.
This recipe is so simple that you probably already have most of the ingredients on hand. I always like to keep my pantry and fridge stocked with basic ingredients, which I find helps resist the urge to buy takeaway or eat out. When I create my weekly meal plan and shopping list I check the pantry and fridge for any basics that might need to be topped up, and add them to the list. That way I know there is always something on hand ready to whip up an easy dinner, snack or dessert.
Now for the recipe. Before you start you will need 6 small glass or plastic cups, or small glass jars. It doesn’t matter what you use, as long as it’s clear. You want to see those pretty colours once the parfaits are assembled.
First, crush the Scotch Finger biscuits a food processor and process until the biscuits resemble breadcrumbs. If you don’t have a food processor like me, add the packet of biscuits to a large zip lock bag, seal the bag while pushing out any air, then bash with a rolling pin. Set aside.
To make the parfait mixture, place a medium saucepan over a low heat, and add 3 cups of milk. Bring the milk to a simmer. Meanwhile, add 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup cornflour and 1/2 cup milk to a small mixing bowl. Whisk with a fork until well combined. Once the milk has reached a simmer, add the sugar and cornflour mixture to the saucepan and continue stirring until the mixture is nice and thick. This will take around 5 minutes. Once the mixture has thickened, remove from the heat and add 1 teaspoon of Queen Unicorn Dream Flavour along with 1 tablespoon butter. Stir once again until well combined.
Divide the mixture evenly between 3 small bowls. Using gel or liquid food colouring (I used gel), colour one teal, one pink and one purple. To assemble the parfaits, divide the purple mixture between the 6 glasses or cups. Top with half of the crushed biscuits, then the teal mixture, the remaining crushed biscuits and finally the pink mixture. Allow to set in the fridge for around 2 hours.
Just before serving, top each parfait with whipped cream (I used canned whipped cream from the dairy isle, but you can whip your own cream if your prefer), and sprinkles.
- 250g packet Scotch Fingers
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornflour
- 1/2 cup milk, extra
- 1 teaspoon Queen Unicorn Dream Flavour for Icing
- 1 tablespoon butter
- teal, pink and purple food colouring
- whipped cream and sprinkles, for serving
- Crush the biscuits using a food processor, or in a zip lock bag using a rolling pin. Set aside.
- Place a medium saucepan over a low heat and add the 3 cups of milk. Bring to a simmer. Meanwhile, add the sugar, cornflour and 1/2 cup of extra milk to a small mixing bowl and whisk using a fork until well combined. Add to the simmering milk and stir until the mixture thickens, which will take around 5 minutes.
- Divide the mixture evenly between 3 small bowls. Add a small amount of food colouring to each bowl, one teal, one pink and one purple. Stir until the mixture is evenly coloured.
- To assemble the parfaits, divide the purple mixture between 6 small glasses, cups or jars. Top with half of the crushed biscuits, followed by the teal mixture, the remaining crushed biscuits and finally the pink mixture. Place in the fridge for around 2 hours to set.
- Just before serving, top the parfaits with the whipped cream and sprinkles.
You might also like to try these unicorn treats: