Easy Spinach and Tomato Tortellini
There is something comforting about a big bowl of pasta, the creamier the better! This Easy Spinach and Tomato Tortellini doesn’t disappoint. It seriously does not take long at all to put together, simply boil the tortellini and throw together the creamy sauce while the pasta is cooking. It’s one of those meals you can easily have on the table in 15 minutes flat.
Start by boiling a large packet of pre-made tortellini according to the packet directions. This should only take around 4-5 minutes once the water is boiling, it’s super quick. While the pasta is boiling away, make a start on the creamy spinach and tomato sauce. Whisk together cream with a little plain flour and set it aside, the flour will help thicken the sauce as it cooks. Fry some garlic in a little olive oil in a large frying pan, then add the canned tomatoes and baby spinach leaves, along with dried oregano and dried basil (you can of course use fresh herbs instead is you have some on hand). Season with a little salt and pepper to taste and add some grated parmesan cheese. Stir the sauce for a few minutes, until the spinach leaves begin to wilt. Then, gradually pour in the cream mixture while stirring the sauce. Continue stirring until the sauce starts to thicken which will only take a few minutes.
By this stage the tortellini should be well and truly cooked, just drain it and add it to the creamy sauce, mixing gently until the pasta is coated in sauce. This tortellini is great served with crusty bread and a green leafy salad, and will easily feed a family of 4, possibly with leftovers for lunch the next day.
- 625g packet tortellini (any flavour will do)
- 1 1/2 cups cream
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, or 3 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 100g baby spinach leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook the tortellini in a large pot according to packet instructions.
- Combine the cream and flour in a jug and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, and fry the garlic until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, spinach leaves, oregano and basil, and stir for a few minutes until the spinach begins to wilt. Stir through the parmesan and salt and pepper.
- Gradually pour in the cream mixture while stirring, then continue stirring until sauce begins to thicken.
- Gently stir the cooked tortellini through the sauce then serve.