Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
These double chocolate chip cookies are a must try for serious chocolate lovers. The chocolatey cookie dough it made even better with the addition of chocolate chips.
Chocolate chip cookies are always a favourite, but they are even better when the cookie dough itself is a chocolate dough. You could take these cookies even further by adding white chocolate chunks or chopped nuts.
This recipe makes the perfect double chocolate chip cookies. They are crispy on the outside, and perfectly soft on the inside. Although of course if you prefer your cookies a little firmer just cook them a little longer than the recipe suggests.
Tips for baking perfect cookies
- If you want your cookies to hold there shape more during baking, chill the dough before baking. Chilling the dough stops the cookies from spreading when baked, which results in firmer cookies that are softer of the inside, which is just the way I like them!
- If you prefer your cookies soft and chewy, don’t over-bake them. Cookies will feel much softer when they are straight out of the oven compared with once they have cooled down. For that reason, under-bake the cookies keeping in mind that they will firm up once they have cooled down. For crispier cookies, just bake them longer.
- Always bake cookies on a silicone mat or baking paper. Baking cookies straight on the cookie tray will cause them to spread and possibly stick to the tray.
- Never preheat your baking trays before baking the cookies. Cookie dough is best placed on a room temperature baking tray before being baked in the oven.
How to make double chocolate chip cookies
Before making a start on the cookie dough, preheat the oven to 170c. Line a baking tray with baking paper, and set aside.
Add the softened butter and brown sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer, and beat until light and fluffy. If you don’t have a stand mixer, just use a large mixing bowl and some electric hand beaters.
Once the butter and sugar mixture is light and fluffy, add the egg and vanilla extract. Beat until until well combined.
Add the plain flour, cocoa powder and chocolate chips to the stand mixer and beat on a low speed until all ingredients are well combined and have formed a dough.
Roll tablespoons full of mixture into balls, and place on the lined baking tray. Flatten each ball slightly, and bake in the preheated oven for around 15 minutes, or until the cookies start to firm up.
Allow the cookies to cool before serving. Store any uneaten cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.
Double chocolate chip cookies recipe
- 110g butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups plain flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 170c. Line a baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
- Add the softened butter and brown sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer, and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat once again until well combined.
- Add the plain flour, cocoa powder and chocolate chips and beat on a low speed until well combined.
- Roll tablespoons full of cookie dough into balls and place on the lined baking tray, flattening slightly.
- Bake the cookies for around 15 minutes, or until they start to firm up. Allow to cool before serving.
- Store any uneaten cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.