Crunchy Baked Cauliflower Popcorn
Have you ever noticed that you can coat anything in breadcrumbs and kids just gobble it up? It really does make everything taste better! This crunchy baked cauliflower popcorn is no exception. It’s the perfect quick, easy and healthy snack that kids are guaranteed to love.
These tasty pieces of popcorn are delicious on their own, but are also great served with a dipping sauce. They are also super versatile. They can be served as a snack, dinner side dish or even as a quick and easy lunch.
This ‘popcorn’ is lightly cooked, then coated in egg followed by a cheesy breadcrumb mixture. They turn golden brown once baked in the oven, and taste best served warm, just like real popcorn!
Need some more winter recipe inspiration? Check out these 5 warming winter side dish ideas, one for every weeknight.
Making this popcorn cauliflower is as simple as it gets. To start, chop the cauliflower into small florets. Add the chopped cauliflower to a large saucepan filled with boiling water and cook for around 5 minutes or until just tender. Drain the cauliflower and set aside. Pre-heat the oven to 200c.
Next, crack the egg into a large mixing bowl and whisk lightly with a fork. Add the cooked cauliflower to the egg and stir until the cauliflower is coated.
In another mixing bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, paprika, thyme, parmesan cheese and a little salt and pepper. Add the egg-coated cauliflower to the breadcrumbs and stir until combined.
Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place the cauliflower on the lined baking tray in a single layer and spray with a little olive oil. This will help the cauliflower get it’s crunch and golden brown colour. Bake for around 20 minutes or until the popcorn cauliflower is golden. Serve while warm either on it’s own or with a dipping sauce.
- 1 cauliflower head
- 1 egg
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200c. Line a baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
- Cut the cauliflower into small florets. Place the chopped cauliflower in a large saucepan of boiling water for around 5 minutes or until just tender. Drain the cauliflower.
- Crack the egg into a large mixing bowl and whisk lightly. Add the cauliflower and stir until the cauliflower is coated in the egg.
- In another bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, paprika, thyme, parmesan and a little salt and pepper. Add the cauliflower and stir until combined.
- Place the cauliflower in a single layer on the prepared baking tray and spray with a little olive oil. Bake for around 20 minutes or until the cauliflower is golden. Serve while warm.