Nothing beats lashing of sweet and tangy cream cheese icing on top of a cake. This cream cheese icing is incredibly easy to make, and is perfect on carrot, banana and red velvet cakes.
This icing is really perfect anytime you want something different from the usual buttercream icing. It’s great on both cakes and cupcakes.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Cream cheese – It’s best to use a full fat cream cheese, which will help give the icing the ability to hold its shape. Be sure to use a block of cream cheese and not the spreadable variety in a tub.
- Butter – Salted butter was used in this recipe, but you could also use unsalted butter. If using unsalted butter, you may like to add a pinch of salt to the mixture.
- Vanilla extract – The vanilla extract can be substituted for vanilla essence.
- Icing sugar – Use a soft icing mixture rather than pure icing sugar.
How to make cream cheese icing
Before making this icing, soften the cream cheese and butter. This can be done by either placing them in the microwave briefly, or leaving on the bench to come to room temperature.
This icing can be made using either a stand mixer or a mixing bowl with hand held beater or a wire whisk.
First, add the cream cheese and butter to the bowl and beat until well combined. Add the icing sugar and vanilla extract. Beat on a low speed until the icing sugar has incorporated into the other ingredients, then increase the speed and beat until fluffy.
Either use the icing immediately, or store in an airtight container in the fridge to use later. When ready to use, simply remove the icing from the fridge and allow to come to room temperature before using.
- 100g cream cheese, softened
- 50g butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 (225g) cups icing sugar
Beat together the softened cream cheese, softened butter, vanilla extract and icing sugar until light and fluffy. Spread over cooled cake or cupcakes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 78Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 53mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 5gProtein: 1g