This cream cheese banana bread is like banana bread crossed with a cheesecake, which makes for once DELICIOUS dessert! This banana bread is easier to make than it might look, and is always a crowd pleaser.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Cream cheese – Use a full fat cream cheese. Ensure your cream cheese is softened at room temperature before using, which will make it easier to mix with the other cream cheese filling ingredients.
- White sugar – White sugar is recommended in the cream cheese filling, however the sugar in the banana bread batter could be substituted with brown sugar.
- Vanilla extract – The vanilla extract can be substituted with vanilla essence.
- Egg – Large sized eggs were used in this recipe.
- Plain flour – Otherwise known as all-purpose flour.
- Baking powder – Not to be confused with bi-carb soda.
- Ground cinnamon – The ground cinnamon can be omitted if preferred, however it adds a nice light spice flavour to the banana bread.
- Salt – The amount of salt can be increased or decreased to suit personal tastes.
- Milk – Full fat milk is used in this recipe and will give the best results, however lower fat varieties can also be used.
- Bananas – The riper the bananas the better the flavour will be.
- Oil – Use a mild flavoured oil, such as vegetable or canola oil.
Step by step instructions
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cream cheese, sugar, egg and vanilla. Set aside.
In another large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
In another smaller mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, oil, eggs, mashed banana and vanilla.
Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the flour mixture. Mix until just combined.
Pour half of the banana bread batter into a prepared baking tin.
Spoon over half of the cream cheese mixture.
Swirl the cream cheese gently with a knife.
Repeat with the remaining banana bread batter and cream cheese mixture. Bake for 60 minutes.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature before enjoying.
Cream cheese filling
- 250g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups plain flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°c/350°f. Line a 21cm x 11cm loaf tin with baking paper. Set aside.
- To make the cream cheese filling, add the softened cream cheese, sugar, egg and vanilla to a large mixing bowl. Whisk until smooth and well combined, and set aside.
- In another large mixing bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt until well combined. Set aside.
- In a smaller mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, bananas, oil, eggs and vanilla until well combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the flour mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared loaf tin. Spoon over half of the cream cheese mixture, and swirl gently with a knife. Repeat with the remaining batter and cream cheese.
- Bake the banana bread for 60 minutes or until cooked through, covering loosely with a sheet of foil halfway through the baking time.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, before transferring to a cooling rack and allowing to cool completely.
- Cover the banana bread with foil halfway through the baking time to prevent the bread from browning too quickly before it has cooked through.
- Chocolate chips are also delicious added to the banana bread batter.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 417Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 83mgSodium: 364mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 2gSugar: 26gProtein: 7g