This classic cornflake biscuits recipe might be old, but it’s still a favourite! These biscuits contain sultanas of a pop of flavour, and are coated in cornflakes to give that perfect crispy outside.
These biscuits are so easy to make, containing just 6 ingredients. They are also perfect for a school lunch box treat.
Who doesn’t love biscuits? Try these biscuit recipes for more ideas next time you need to restock the biscuit jar.
- Kingston biscuits
- Afghan biscuits
- Anzac biscuits
- Milo biscuits
- Golden syrup biscuits
- Coffee scroll biscuits
Ingredients and substitutions
- Butter – Salted butter was used in this recipe, but this can be substituted with unsalted butter. If using unsalted butter, consider adding a pinch of salt to the dough.
- Caster sugar – White sugar could be used in this recipe, however caster sugar dissolved easier into the butter.
- Egg – A large sized egg was used in this recipe.
- Self raising flour – If you don’t have any self raising flour on hand, substitute with a combination of 1 1/4 cups plain flour and 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder.
- Sultanas – The sultanas can be substituted with raisins, or omitted all together.
- Cornflakes – Use Kellog’s brand cornflakes, or any alternative brand.
Step by step instructions
Use a stand mixer or mixing bowl with hand held beaters to make this dough. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat until well combined. Gently mix through the self raising flour and sultanas until a dough forms.
Place the crushed cornflakes in a shallow bowl. Roll tablespoons of biscuit mixture into balls. Roll the balls in the crushed cornflakes to evenly coat. Place the balls on baking trays lined with baking paper, and press down slightly.
Bake the biscuits at 180c/160c fan forced for 20 minutes, or until lightly golden. Allow the biscuits to cool completely on the baking trays. Store the biscuits in an airtight container at room temperature.
Store these biscuits in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. These biscuits are also suitable for freezing. Freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Defrost at room temperature before enjoying.
- 125g butter, softened
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups self raising flour
- 1/4 cup sultanas
- 1 1/2 cups cornflakes, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 160c. Line 2 x baking trays with baking paper and set aside.
- Cream the softened butter and caster sugar using either a stand mixer or handheld beaters. Add the egg and beat until combined, scraping the side of the bowl with a spatula as needed.
- Add the self raising flour and sultanas and mix on the lowest speed until a dough forms.
- Place the crushed cornflakes in a bowl. Roll tablespoons of dough into balls, then roll the balls in the crushed cornflakes to coat. Place the biscuits on the prepared baking trays and flatten slightly.
- Bake the biscuits for 20 minutes or until lightly golden. Allow to cool on trays.
- Store these biscuits in an airtight container at room temperature.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 136Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 191mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 0gSugar: 8gProtein: 2g