Cooking Money Saving Tips
The following tips will help you save money in the kitchen.
- Browse the Bargain Mums Budget Recipe section, filled with recipes designed to be cheap, family friendly and fuss free.
- If you find yourself using a lot of milk when baking and cooking, substitute fresh milk with powdered milk, you won’t even taste the difference.
- When you have an empty mustard jar, throw in a few ingredients (olive oil, vinegar etc), shake it around and you have a mustard dressing, using just the mustard left on the sides and bottom of the jar.
- Double your recipes and freeze half, giving you a freezer full of meals for those nights when you just don’t feel like cooking.
- Regularly set aside time to bake up a storm for the freezer, including cakes, muffins, biscuits etc. You then have snacks always on hand, perfect for school lunches.
- Go meat free at least once per week.
- Bulk up meals with vegetables and canned beans, you may even be able to reduce the amount of meat you use in meals by doing this.
- Drink tap water rather than sugary drinks like soft drink, it will save you money and is much better for you.
- When cooking a roast in the oven, make good use of the energy the oven is using by getting some baking done at the same time.