Nothing beats freshly baked coffee scrolls. The swirls of buttery cinnamon and sugar in these scrolls matches perfectly with the sweet coffee flavoured cream cheese icing. This is one recipe you will be making again and again.
More scroll recipes
Try these delicious scrolls recipes:
What you need
To make these scrolls you will need the following ingredients:
- Bread flour – plain flour can be substituted, but bread flour will give the best result
- Lukewarm water – ensure the water is not too hot or the yeast may not work
- White sugar
- Instant dried yeast
- Ground cinnamon
- Brown sugar
- Cream cheese
- Icing sugar
- Instant coffee
- Walnut halves – For decorating (optional)
How to store scrolls
These scrolls are definitely best on the day they are baked, but will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days. After refrigerating, the scrolls will taste best if left to sit at room temperature for 10-20 minutes before enjoying.
These scrolls are also suitable for freezing. Freeze in an airtight container or zip lock bag for up to 2 months.
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 60g butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons instant dried yeast
- 45g butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 80g cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
- 1 teaspoon boiling water
- 12 walnut halves
- Add to the bowl of a stand mixer the bread flour, water, white sugar, butter and yeast. Knead using the dough hook attachment for 5 minutes, or until smooth and elastic.
- Cover the bowl with cling wrap and sit in a warm place for around 1 hour, or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Punch down the dough and turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out into a large rectangle.
- Spread the extra butter over the dough and sprinkle over the cinnamon and brown sugar. Rolls into a log.
- Cut the log into 12 equal pieces and place on a lined baking tray. Cover with clong wrap and sit in a warm spot for around 30 minutes or until risen to your desired size.
- Preheat the oven to 180c fan forced. Bake the scrolls for 15 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer to a wire cooling rack. Allow to cool slightly.
- To make the icing, beat the cream cheese in a stand mixer until pale and creamy. Dissolve the instant coffee in the boiling water and add to the stand mixer along with the icing sugar. Beat until fluffy.
- Spread over the scrolls while still slightly warm and top with a walnut half.
Store the scrolls in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
These scrolls are suitable for freezing. Freeze in an airtight container for up to 2 months.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 293Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 80mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 5g