Nothing beats a warm tea cake for an afternoon treat. This cinnamon tea cake is no exception! While it can be eaten at room temperature, there is just something amazing about it served warm.
This cake can be eaten as is, or served with a little cream, custard or ice cream. For something so simple it tastes so delicious!
For more easy yet delicious cake recipes take a look at the ideas below:
- Hummingbird cake
- Patty cakes
- Lemon magic custard cake
- Caramilk mud cake
- Strawberry sheet cake
- Banana cake
How to make the perfect tea cake
- Don’t skip the creaming step! Taking the time to cream the butter and sugar will give the cake that perfect light and fluffy texture.
- Brush the cake with the melted butter as soon as it comes out of the oven. The butter will soak into the top of the cake, and once sprinkled with extra sugar and cinnamon finishes the cake perfectly.
- Eat the cake on the day it is baked if possible. While it can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature, this cake tastes the best the day it is made.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Butter – Salted butter was used in this recipe, however this can be substituted with unsalted butter. If using unsalted butter, consider adding a pinch of salt to the cake batter.
- Caster sugar – The caster sugar can be substituted with white sugar, however caster sugar will dissolve better into the butter.
- Egg – A large sized egg was used in this recipe.
- Vanilla extract – The vanilla extract can be substituted with vanilla essence.
- Self raising flour – If you don’t have any self raising flour on hand, make your own by combining 1 cup of plain flour with 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder.
- Milk – Full fat milk was used in this cake, however lower fat varieties can also be used.
- Cinnamon – The ground cinnamon is an essential ingredient to give this cake it’s cinnamon flavour.
Store this cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. This cake is also suitable for freezing. Freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature before enjoying.
- 60g butter, softened
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 15g butter, extra, melted
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar, extra
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 160c fan forced. Grease or line with baking paper a 20cm round cake tin. Set aside.
- Cream together the softened butter and caster sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- Add the flour and milk and beat once again until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin. Bake for 25 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Place the cake on a wire rack or serving dish. Brush with the extra melted butter and sprinkle with the combined extra caster sugar and cinnamon.
- Serve the cake warm or at room temperature.
- This cake can be served warm or at room temperature.
- This cake is best served on the day it is baked.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 196Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 263mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 1gSugar: 15gProtein: 3g