Christmas Tree Meringues
These adorable little Christmas Tree Meringues are the perfect Christmas day treat, and even make fantastic DIY homemade gifts. They are made from a super easy 2 ingredient meringue, containing only egg white and sugar. If you need an egg free alternative, try making the trees with our egg free meringue recipe.
To make the meringue, start by letting your egg comes up to room temperature. Next, separate the eggs, placing the egg whites into the bowl of a stand mixer, and reserving the egg yolks for another recipe. Always make sure that your bowl is completely clean before adding the egg whites, and be sure that there is absolutely no egg yolk in the whites, as this will prevent the egg whites from increasing in volume.
Using a wire whisk attachment, begin to beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. With the motor still running, gradually add the sugar to the bowl. Once all of the sugar has been added, add a little green food colouring gel and continue beating until the meringue is stiff and glossy. Transfer to a piping bag ready to pipe onto lined baking trays. I used a star shaped piping tip, but feel free to use any tip you like. Decorate the trees with sprinkles and top each with a sugar star decoration. The meringues are then baked for around 2 hours in a low oven. It’s important to bake the meringue low and slow, as you want the trees to retain their pretty colour and not begin to brown.
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- green food colouring gel
- sugar star decorations
- Preheat the oven to 100c and line two baking trays with baking paper.
- In a stand mixer with a wire whisk attachment or using hand beater, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks begin to form. Slowly add the sugar with the motor still running, add a little food colouring, and continue beating until the egg whites are thick and glossy.
- Transfer the meringue to a piping bag with a star nozzle fitted and pipe Christmas tree shapes onto the baking paper. Decorate with the sprinkles and top each tree with a sugar star.
- Bake the meringues for 2 hours, checking every so often to make sure the meringues are not starting to brown. Allow to cool completely before serving.