If you didn’t think chocolate brownies could get any better, think again. These walnut chocolate brownies are the most amazing brownie with the added flavour and texture of the chopped walnuts.
These brownies are perfect for those times you need a no-fuss chocolate hit, but don’t want to resort to a boxed mix. The batter is an easy melt and mix style batter, making for an easy clean up.
More brownie recipes
Nothing beats a good brownie to satisfy those brownie cravings. More more brownie inspiration, take a look at the recipes below:
- Milo brownies
- Caramilk blondies
- Lemon brownies
- Nutella brownies
- Nutella fudge brownies
- Chocolate raspberry brownies
- Tim tam brownies
Store the brownie in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
This brownie is suitable for freezing. Freeze in an airtight container or zip lock bag for up to 2 months. Defrost at room temperature.
You will need
To make these delicious brownies you will need the following ingredients:
- Dark chocolate
- White sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Plain flour
- Cocoa powder
- 4.5oz/125g salted butter
- 4.5oz/125g dark chocolate
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 320°F/160°c. Grease or line with parchment paper a 9 inch/20cm baking tin. Set aside.
- Add the butter and chocolate to a large heat proof mixing bowl. Place the mixing bowl over a saucepan of simmering water over a low heat, and stir until the butter and chocolate have just melted and the mixture is smooth. Remove from the heat.
- Add the sugar and vanilla to the chocolate mixture and whisk until well combined. Add the eggs and whisk once again until well combined.
- Add the flour and cocoa powder to the mixture and stir until just combined. Fold through the chopped walnuts.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking tin, smoothing the top. Bake for 35 minutes, or until an inserted skewer comes out with just crumbs clinging to it. Allow to cool completely in the tin before slicing.
The butter and chocolate can also be melted in the microwave. Add the butter and chocolate to a large microwave safe mixing bowl and microwave in 30 second blocks until melted, mixing in between each block.
Unsalted butter can be used in place of the salted. If using unsalted butter, you may like to add a little salt with the flour.
These walnut brownies are also great with the addition of half a cup chocolate chips or roughly chopped chocolate.
The walnuts in this recipe can be substituted with an equal amount of your favorite nut variety.
The white sugar can be substituted with 1 cup of brown sugar, or a mixture of 1/2 cup white sugar and 1/2 cup brown sugar.
The brownie is cooked through when an inserted skewer or toothpick comes out with a few clinging crumbs. This will give a brownie that is baked through on the outside but still fudgy in the middle.
If a firmer, more cake like brownie is preferred, add on a few more minutes to the baking time. If a fudgier brownie is preferred, reduce the baking time by a few minutes.
A few extra chopped walnuts can be sprinkled over the batter just before baking.
These brownies are also delicious served warm as a dessert, especially with a scoop of creamy vanilla ice cream.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 230Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 66mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 1gSugar: 16gProtein: 3g