These chocolate sticky date cupcakes really are something amazing! They start with a delicious sticky date cupcake with chocolate chips, and are then topped with a sweet chocolate icing. The dates and chocolate work so well together.
More cupcake recipes
After more cupcake inspiration? Look no further than the cupcakes recipes below:
- Sultana cupcakes
- Marshmallow brownie cupcakes
- Hot chocolate cupcakes
- Malteser cupcakes
- Ice cream cone cupcakes
- Lemon sour cream cupcakes
Ingredients in chocolate sticky date cupcakes
Ready to whip up a batch of these chocolate sticky date cupcakes? You won’t regret it! Before you get started, make sure you have the follwoing ingredients:
- Dried dates
- Boiling water
- Bi carb soda
- Brown sugar
- Self raising flour
- Dark chocolate chips
For the chocolate icing, you will need:
- Icing sugar
- Cocoa powder
- Hot water
How to make chocolate sticky date cupcakes
Before making a start on the cupcake batter, first preheat the oven to 160c. Next, line 16 holes in 3 x 6 hole muffin tins with cupcake liners, and set aside.
To a small mixing bowl, add the roughly chopped dates along with the boiling water and bi carb soda. Leave to sit for 10 minutes, which will soften the dates ready for the cake batter.
Add the butter and brown sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer (or a large mixing bowl with electric beaters) and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
Next, add the eggs to the butter mixture, one at a time, beating well between each addition. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula as needed. Add the dates along with all of their soaking liquid to the bowl and beat once again until well combined.
Finally, add the self raising flour to the bowl and beat once again until well combined. Stir through the dark chocolate chips. Divide the batter between the muffin tins and bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through. Allow to cool completely.
How to make chocolate icing
To make the chocolate icing, in a small mixing bowl stir together the icing sugar, cocoa powder and melted butter until well combined. Add just enough hot water to make a spreadable consistency. Spread over the cooled cupcakes.
Chocolate Sticky Date Cupcakes recipe
- 1 3/4 cups dried dates, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon bi carb soda
- 125g butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups self raising flour
- 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup icing sugar, for icing
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, for icing
- 35g butter, extra, melted, for icing
- hot water, for icing
- Preheat oven to 160c. Line 16 holes in 3 x 6 hole muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Add to a small bowl the chopped dates, boiling water and bi carb soda. Leave to sit for 10 minutes.
- To the bowl of a stand mixer add the softened butter and brown sugar. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat between each addition.
- Add the dates and all of the liquid to the stand mixer, and beat until well combined. Finally, add the self raising flour and beat once again until well combined. Stir through the chocolate chips.
- Divide the cupcake batter between the muffin tins. Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through. Allow to cool completely.
- To make the icing, mix together in a small bowl the icing sugar, cocoa powder and melted butter. Add enough hot water to make a spreadable consistency. Spread icing over cooled cupcakes.
- Store cupcakes in an airtight container at room temperature.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 291Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 241mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 2gSugar: 31gProtein: 3g