There is something special about this velvety smooth chocolate sour cream cake. The sour cream in the cake batter works perfectly, as it also does in the chocolate icing.
This chocolate cake would make the perfect celebration cake, but is also a great cake to make just because.
Nothing beats a quick and easy cake recipe. For more cake inspiration, take a look at the recipes below:
- Lemon magic custard cake
- Orange cake
- Caramilk mud cake
- Strawberry sheet cake
- Banana cake
- Chocolate crazy cake
- Condensed milk cake
Ingredients in chocolate sour cream cake
Wondering just what ingredients go into a sour cream cake?
- Brown sugar
- White sugar
- Plain flour
- Cocoa powder
- Bi carb soda
- Sour cream
To make the chocolate sour cream icing you will need the following 4 ingredients:
- Dark chocolate
- Icing sugar
- Sour cream
How to make chocolate sour cream cake
Before making a start on the cake batter, preheat the oven to 160c fan forced. Line a rectangular slice tin with baking paper and set aside.
To make the batter you will need either a stand mixer with a flat beater attachment, or a large mixing bowl and a set of hand held electric beaters.
Add all of the cake ingredients to the bowl and beat on a low speed to combine. Increase the speed and beat for 3 minutes.
Pour the batter into the prepared tin and smooth the top. Bake for 30 minutes or until the cake is cooked through. Allow to cool completely in the tin.
To make the icing, add all of the icing ingredients to a small saucepan. Heat the saucepan over a low heat and stir until everything has melted and the mixture is smooth. Set aside to cool completely.
Once both the cake and icing have cooled, spread the icing evenly over the cake.
Store this cake in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
This cake is suitable for freezing. Freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Defrost at room temperature before enjoying.
For the cake
- 125g butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon bi carb soda
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup water
For the icing
- 100g dark chocolate
- 60g butter
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 160c fan forced. Line a rectangular slice tin with baking paper and set aside.
- Using either a stand mixer or a bowl with electric beaters, beat all of the cake ingredients together on a low speed until just combined. Increase the speed and beat for around 3 minutes until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared tin. Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through. Allow to cool completely in tin.
- To make the icing, add all of the icing ingredients to a small saucepan. Heat over a low heat until all the butter and chocolate have melted, and the icing is smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Once the icing has cooled, spread over the cooled cake.
- Store this cake in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- This cake is suitable for freezing.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 248Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 60mgSodium: 85mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 3g