Chocolate chip muffins are the ultimate cafe style treat. These muffins are perfectly soft and fluffy, and are perfect as school lunchbox treats.
This muffin recipe if my go-to recipe. The basic recipe contains on five basic ingredients, and can the chocolate chips can easily be swapped for blueberries, mashed bananas or even chopped nuts. The options are endless.
After more muffin recipes? Look no further than the recipes below:
- Raspberry and white chocolate muffins
- Apple crumble muffins
- Chocolate banana muffins
- Banana caramilk muffins
- Blueberry muffins
- Milo muffins
- Savoury muffins
Ingredients you will need
To make these delicious muffins you will need the following 6 ingredients:
- Self raising flour
- White sugar
- Chocolate chips – feel free to use milk, dark or even white chocolate chips
- Canola oil – or you favourite mild-flavoured oil
Tips for making the perfect muffins
- Don’t overmix the batter. Mixing the batter until only just combined will help keep your muffins light and fluffy.
- Chill the muffin batter in the fridge overnight. This will also help keep the muffins light and fluffy, but will also help them rise taller when baked. If trying this with a berry muffin recipe, mix the berries through just before baking.
- Use a cookie scoop to transfer the batter to the muffin tins. This helps evenly fill the tins, and is way less messy than spooning the batter.
- Muffins are perfect for freezing. Simply freeze them in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
How to make chocolate chip muffins
Preheat the oven to 180c fan forced. Line 2 x 6 hole muffin tins with muffin wrappers.
Combine the self raising flour and white sugar in a large mixing bowl.
Combine the milk, oil and egg in a small bowl until well combined.
Combine the wet ingredients with the dry, mixing until just combined. Stir through the chocolate chips. Do not overmix!
Divide the batter between the muffin tins. Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
How to store muffins
At room temperature – Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
In the freezer – Freeze in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
Chocolate chip muffin recipe
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180c fan forced. Line 2 x 6 hole muffin tins with muffin wrappers.
- Combine the self raising flour and white sugar in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk, canola oil and the egg.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined. Fold through the chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter between the muffin tins. Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
Use your choice of dark, milk or white chocolate chips in this recipe.
Store the muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Alternatively, freeze in and airtight container for up to 1 month.
Do not overmix the batter. This will ensure your muffins stay light and fluffy.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 237Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 265mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 1gSugar: 13gProtein: 4g