Chilli con carne is the perfect family friendly weeknight dinner. It’s one of those meals that is sure to be liked by the entire family.
Don’t be put of by the chilli in the name of this recipe. The great thing about this recipe is that YOU are in control of the amount of chilli. You can add as much or as little as you and your family like, or even leave it out all together.
Family friendly dinners
Need a little family friendly dinner inspiration? Take a look at the recipes below:
- Savoury mince
- Beef in black bean sauce
- Curried sausages
- Slow cooker butter chicken
- Creamy Tuscan chicken
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Reheat until piping hot using the microwave or stovetop.
This recipe is suitable for freezing. Freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating until piping hot.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 500g beef mince
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder, to taste
- 2 x 410g cans crushed tomatoes
- 410g can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 heaped tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon beef stock powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over a medium-high heat. Cook the onion until soft. Add the garlic and capsicum and cook until the garlic is fragrant and the capsicum just starts to soften.
- Add the mince to the pan and cook, breaking up lumps, until browned. Add the cumin, paprika, onion powder, oregano and chilli powder, cooking until fragrant.
- Stir through the canned tomatoes, kidney beans, tomato paste, water and stock powder. Season to taste with the salt and pepper.
- Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes over a low heat.
- Serve with rice or corn chips, and top with your choice of fresh coriander, sour cream, grated cheese, avocado and/or lime wedges.
- Canned diced tomatoes can be substituted for the canned crushed tomatoes
- If you have the time, simmering the chilli for longer than 20 minutes will develop the flavours even further.
- This chilli can also be slow cooked. Simply substitute the 1/2 water for 1 1/2 cups.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 592Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 111mgSodium: 827mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 11gSugar: 16gProtein: 47g