This chicken and cashew stir fry is one of those meals that you can get on the table fast, and everyone is sure to love. It really is the perfect weeknight dinner.
Not only is it quick and easy, it is also suitable for freezing. Why not make a big batch, have one portion for dinner tonight and freeze the rest for another night. This chicken pairs perfectly with steamed rice, especially our Thermomix rice.
Weeknights can be busy, so sometimes you just want a meal you can get on the table FAST! Take a look at the recipes below for more inspiration:
- Chilli con carne
- Savoury mince
- Beef in black bean sauce
- Curried sausages
- Baked feta and tomato TikTok pasta
Ingredients and substitutions
- Oil – I used extra virgin olive oil, but use your preferred frying oil.
- Chicken thigh – Use boneless, skinless chicken thigh. This can be substituted for skinless chicken breast.
- Green capsicum – Substitute this with red or yellow capsicum.
- Onion – Use a medium-large sized brown onion.
- Broccoli – Use fresh broccoli, or frozen if fresh isn’t available. Cut up the stalk and throw that in too, it tastes delicious and reduced waste.
- Garlic – Fresh garlic was used in this recipe, however this can be substituted with 2 heaped teaspoons of minced jar garlic.
- Cashews – Use unsalted cashews, as salted cashews may result in this dish being too salty. Roasted cashews will add a deeper flavour.
- Soy sauce – Use regular or light soy sauce, but avoid dark soy sauce.
- Oyster sauce
- Cornflour – The cornflour is used to thicken the sauce, resulting in a sauce that perfectly coats the chicken and vegetables.
- Sesame oil – This adds a light sesame taste to the sauce, but can be omitted if preferred.
How to serve
Serve this stir fry with your favourite cooked noodles or rice. You could garnish it with chopped fresh coriander or crispy fried shallots.
Store this stir fry in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Reheat using the microwave or stovetop until piping hot.
This chicken is also suitable for freezing. Freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge, before reheating according to the above directions.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 500g chicken thigh, diced
- 1 green capsicum, diced
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted cashews
For the sauce
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 6 tablespoons water
- Combine the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok over a high heat. Cook the chicken, stirring, until browned.
- Add the capsicum, onion, broccoli and garlic and cook until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the sauce to the pan and cook, stirring, until thickened. Stir through the cashews and remove from heat.
- Serve with rice or noodles.
- Store leftover stir fry in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- This recipe is suitable to freeze for up to 3 months.
- Have the chicken and vegetables chopped before getting started on the cooking, as this recipe is fast once the cooking begins.
- All of the vegetables in this recipe can be substuted for any other vegetbales you have on hand, or even frozen vegetables.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 470Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 160mgSodium: 1287mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 36g